jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think of the TREE of LIFE.

1. jeyaramd profile image76
    jeyaramdposted 6 years ago

What do you think of the TREE of LIFE.

How did you feel about the movie, The Tree of Life with Brad Pitt. What did you think Terence Mallick (the director) was trying to convey about the meaning of life? Please share your interpretation. It could be your own interpretation. Did you find it boring or enlightening. Did you watch it at home or in the cineplex. What did you think of the cinematography and soundtrack. How was the performances. Was it depressing. Did you learn something. However, I am mostly looking for a philosophical answer to the meaning of life through the viewing of this movie.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5899121_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

I watched this at home with my wife.  It was a very artsy movie; the cinematography and scoring were excellent.  It honestly left me a bit baffled as it raised more questions than it answered.  It got quite tedious at times, i.e. the entire creation sequence, but we still watched it all the way through.  I wish I could say I got what the director was trying to convey but I didn't.

3. jeyaramd profile image76
    jeyaramdposted 6 years ago

Thank you poetic fool. Yes, the creation sequence may feel out of context. But, I think it somehow relates to life. In relation to the thinking about how we belong in the whole grand scheme of life. How we belong to evolution. How do humans fit in this puzzle. The world has existed before us. That is how I interpreted that sequence. However, I do agree that the sequence was over stretched. Its a complicated film. Some people either love it or hate it. It makes you think though. Sometimes, we come in looking for solutions. But, leave with more questions. Perhaps, the intention of the director was to have us think about life. To think of the meaning of it all. I know its a lot of philosophy. Terence Mallick, the director, was a philosophy student, so it explains his approach to filming through visual images than through spoken language. I know all philosophers may not agree with that approach. Its different though. And for that you have to appreciate it. Thanks for your answer.

4. innersmiff profile image73
    innersmiffposted 6 years ago

I've made a hub about this film with my interpretations.

"[The film] roughly aims to place humanity and the family in context with the universe, and give solace to the characters who have suffered loss, and are deeply confused. All of the whispers you hear are the prayers of each member of the family, and the images of life as it begins on Earth are the responses to those prayers. Rather than try and give reason to the incidentals, gradual resentment and grief in that troublesome medium of words, the film (God) shows you the grand scheme of things. Yes, there seems to be a very loose relation between the main ‘plot’ of the film, and these fantastically stunning montages of space, colour and music. It makes sense if you sit down with the intent of the film ‘doing’ itself on to you, without any pre-conceived idea of what a film should be like or be about."

5. lucidrealty profile image69
    lucidrealtyposted 5 years ago

I really liked it. The imagery was very powerful but it did seem a bit disjointed. The director struggled with how to piece this thing together.

working