jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Does the music for teenagers today evoke the same emotions as the music for teen

1. timthechirpinbyrd profile image61
    timthechirpinbyrdposted 5 years ago

Does the music for teenagers today evoke the same emotions as the music for teenagers in the past?

As parents, we tell our children how great the music was when we were their age.  Do you think our children will feel the same way about today's music when they have their own children?

2. YimmyP profile image84
    YimmyPposted 5 years ago

When I was growing up, I absolutely feel in love with the sounds of Motown. They were classic songs about being in love and sticking with a soul mate. It seems like today's music scene is all about having careless sex, getting drunk or endorsing some sort of illegal drug. As for evoking emotion, no, I don't think that today's music has the same emotional effect as songs of the past. As a parent myself, there is no way that I would let my children listen to some of the ridiculousness that is played on today's radio. I know that as they get older, they will start to decide for themselves what is okay or not, I just hope that they are smart enough to realize that songs are songs and not take anything more from them.

timthechirpinbyrdposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

3. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

Its more common now to hear songs about abusing women, drugs, sex and acting like everyone else. Music today is conditioning kids into acting and thinking certain ways. Its a shame that most teens only think of partying, popularity and sex. I guess I am mature for my age, but the music in mainstream that kids to teens listen to not only is forcing them to grow up faster, but lose a sense of who they are. They become like everyone else.

timthechirpinbyrdposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Especially with having to grow up fast.  Thank you.

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image81
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I think the difference is that back in the 60s it was a grass-roots thing where talented youngsters could get together, create a new sound and win followers of their own age. Then they got a manager.  Nowadays the managers often create the bands from cute-looking kids and dictate the often synthetic, formulaic music, substituting gimmicks for creativity, and quirkiness and cuteness for originality.  It's all a game plan to manipulate the youngsters and it makes them millions, but I don't think it does much for music. There are still creative young people out there, but I wonder if it's harder to get a breakthrough with the Cowells of this world controlling the market.

The earlier music came from young people's experience, thoughts and feelings, so maybe it did touch young people in a way that the latest pop music pap doesn't.  But there is still good stuff out there that will stick in minds and hearts for a long time - it's just having a tougher time getting through.

1. YimmyP profile image84
      YimmyPposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good point.

2. Bernd Willimek profile image57
      Bernd Willimekposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Music and Emotions

The most difficult  problem in answering the question of how music creates emotions is likely to be the fact that assignments of musical elements and emotions can never be defined clearly. The solution of this problem is the Theor

5. alexarain379 profile image59
    alexarain379posted 3 months ago

i think emotions all time are the same,
    we used to romantic songs be quiet and talk a bout story,
    if this equation can be occured in fast song, and be accepted.
    may be lead to same feeling, when only it is know how to be accepted.