jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why are we so fascinated with fictional creatures such as Vampires and Zombies?

1. Asp52 profile image86
    Asp52posted 5 years ago

Why are we so fascinated with fictional creatures such as Vampires and Zombies?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Because they go through more difficult trials than we do. After reading one of those books, I feel so light, so free. Even after all they go through, they still turn out perfectly fine, for the better, and laughing all the way. (I know the characters aren't real, but I treat them like it!)
    But for the movies, it's a new world, the unknown. We love day dreaming of what would have happened if they existed.

3. dailytop10 profile image94
    dailytop10posted 5 years ago

Because their violence excites the audience. Who can resist to watch protagonists do their best to protect themselves against flesh-eating zombies and agile vampires. Well I'm just happy they are mere products of man's imagination.

4. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I agree with both answers I see below, but I think there is a more specific answer, as well. As a student of Carl Jung's depth psychology, I believe each generation creates, and is fascinated by, typal images from the unconscious that represent the struggles of that generation.

Vampires may represent emotional vampires, needy people who take our life and attention to meet their own needs. Zombies may represent people who are not mentally and emotionally alive, people who are not vitally connected to the joy and wonder of life.

For people in their early teens (and maybe for another ten years), it can be a shock to realize that our parents don't have it together. If your parents watch a lot of TV, perhaps have addiction issues of their own, created a broken family with you in it because they didn't know how to love and relate, it makes a lot of sense to look at how to live among vampires (apparently powerful people who prey on you for energy) and zombies (apparently living people who are actually dead) to find out what we all want: how to be a genuine, wonderful, alive person in this world.

Closed to reply

working