Do You Think Patsy Cline Was The Greatest Country Music Singer Ever?

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image73
    crazyhorsesghostposted 5 years ago

Do You Think Patsy Cline Was The Greatest Country Music Singer Ever?

I was watching the movie about her life tonight. I've always loved to hear her sing and I really do wonder if she is the greatest Country Music singer ever. What do you think? And why?

2. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

Patsy was a singer of tremendous talent; there's no denying that, in my opinion. The girl knew how to deliver a song. But there are and have been vocalists with much better voices than hers: Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rimes, Dottie West. To me designations of "best ever" are meaningless, especially when applied to artists of any medium. Patsy simply is legendary, as are so many others with individual qualities that make each of them unique.

3. KF Raizor profile image59
    KF Raizorposted 4 years ago

In a word, no.  Patsy had a great voice, but I am of the opinion (and I have heard others say this) that Patsy Cline is ONLY regarded so highly because she died.  And there's considerable validity to that, considering that so many of the women in country music who are far superior vocally to Patsy have been completely forgotten simply because they LIVED to a ripe old age.

if you listen to Charline Arthur (who predated Patsy) you'll hear where Patsy got her sound.  Also, if you listen to people like Jean Shepard, Wanda Jackson and Connie Smith you will hear much more emotion and soul (if you can use that for a country singer). 

I realize I'm in the tiny minority in this opinion, and it isn't that I don't like Patsy (I still have an old album of Patsy's Four Star material that my parents had when I was a baby).  I just don't think she had a uniquely original voice nor the singularly best female voice in country music.

Great question!