jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the Greatest Country in the World?

1. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

What is the Greatest Country in the World?

As and American, of course I vote for America. But I know that not all people on HubPages are from America. What is your opinion?

2. ArtzGirl profile image77
    ArtzGirlposted 6 years ago

I would say Switzerland, because they have remained outside of the involvement in wars.  They have been financially sound and a number of people place their money in Switzerland, but the country has not bee involved in major wars for some time.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Despite its problems, the US is still the greatest country in the world because our people have so much freedom and potential, our food supplies are ample, our resources are many and we basically are industrious, honest people.

4. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

MickS - you are correct - I should have said I would vote for the United States of America. (And I also should have said as AN American - not "and")

5. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

I am an American living in England and I prefer the UK. The weather and the government aren't the greatest, but I love the way of life...how people work to live instead of living to work :-). To visit, I would have to say Egypt (Africa) of all the places I've been so far.

6. shweta25 profile image66
    shweta25posted 6 years ago

India,not because i'm born here but because you see the world here from different perspectives.It is a secular democratic republic with the most exquisite beauty of himalayas to the full power pact gushes of Ganga,from backwaters of Kerela to the rainforests in Assam,a miraculous blend of different cultures...i guess l make a hub on India..

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I don't believe there are any serious criteria for assessing this. Some countries are better than others at certain things. Certainly, the US is the freest country in the world; it has a wonderful legal system; and has the most military forces in the world. But the US also has the worst educational system (despite its many colleges and universities) and does not offer healthcare to many of its citizens. Taxes are high and the gap between rich and poor is very wide. Some countries have great societies or a rich history. The US does not have these things. I'm always curious to know why Americans like to say their nation is so great. We may be powerful, but what has power ever done for me? Nationalistic pride is a dangerous thing. I think we should always find ways to critique and improve our nation. We should never sit contentedly on our molehill and gloat with self-satisfaction, convincing ourselves that we are wonderful. Where is the philosophy in that? We should always probe, always question, and always be curious.

8. Grime Remix profile image61
    Grime Remixposted 6 years ago

Modern culture and thinking is on a global basis.  While it's great to love the place you call home, the bigger picture is that in today's world we are all more connected and getting to know each other in new ways. Those who think in terms of greatest etc immediately separate themselves away from opportunity and generally end up getting left behind with outdated concepts.

working