jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can cover version of a song be better than the original?

1. Veroniquebee profile image75
    Veroniquebeeposted 4 years ago

Can cover version of a song be better than the original?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I'm sure it can be if done, but I've yet to hear any cover that I like better than the original.

3. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 4 years ago

Yes, I have only found one so far. Free Falling by Tom Petty, the original and Free Fallin' by John Mayer.  I love the original but I felt that John Mayer had a lot more emotion involved and frankly did it better.

4. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

Yes, occasionally. But most that are good enough to get air time, have been rearranged somewhat. Sometimes drastically. Couple of my favorites were The Beatles song, " Have a Little Help From My Friends" covered by Joe Cocker; Stevie Nix "Landslide" covered by the Dixie Chicks. And the latest that was really good is "Stairway to Heaven" covered by Mary J. Blige. 
         If you want to hear a really strange, but good one, go to Youtube and look up the BeeGees "Stayin' Alive" covered by Ozzy Osborne and Dweezil Zappa. It's a trip.

5. KEPitz1005 profile image60
    KEPitz1005posted 4 years ago

Oh absolutely! Example: "Come Together" by the Beatles originally. Good song to begin with, right? Aerosmith did a cover of it... Not impressed, really.
    Then Godsmack covered it recently. Sully Erna does a fantastic job of singing this song, and delivering it with his own, unmistakable style. IMO - best cover ever!
    Just go listen to it! big_smile

6. josters profile image79
    jostersposted 4 years ago

Of course it can be. As an example I would definitely go with "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. He recorded the song shortly before he died and it is about regret, looking back and thinking about the things he did in life. As this sounds like an original Cash song it was actually recorded first by Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) in his mid-twenties.
    It is just my opinion but I think this song suits Johnny Cash better.

7. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 4 years ago

Jamey Johnson does "two outa 3 aint bad" better than meatloaf ever thought of,... thats my solid opinion and i'll not be persuaded otherwise,... judge for yourself,.... forgive the venue,...