jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Why are we so infatuated with Hollywood?

1. Alphadogg16 profile image90
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

Why are we so infatuated with Hollywood?

Fast & the Furious star Paul Walker recently lost his life in a car accident. While my heart & condolences go out to his friends & family, it raised the question of why when a celebrity passes it seems to affect the world, but soldiers/people die everyday & are never given a second thought, except maybe on Memorial Day.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image91
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

Because nobody outside of the soldier's family, comrades and close friends know who he/she is, so it makes it harder to really identify with someone when you don't know them.  Plus, the media likes to focus on celebrity's lives mainly because that's what people seem to want to watch. I personally don't understand it, and I agree with you that we should value a soldier's life more so than a celebrity's life, or at the very least about the same.

Sadly, our priorities aren't in the right place.  Hell, we even celebrate birthdays of cartoon characters for pete's sakes, so is it any wonder why most countries don't take us seriously anymore?

3. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 4 years ago

Because entertainers use their talents to make millions of people happy. Not everybody will like them, but many do. They help people escape from their problems and they for the most part try to maintain a positive attitude in front of the cameras. This creates the illusion that they are successful, a winner, have millions of dollars and everything is going great. The reality is, its an act in front of the camera. They have ups and downs like everybody. They are not perfect either. So when a tragedy happens, people will miss the talent, the positive, happy illusion that some of them have created in their lives. Like Michael Jackson, insiders say he was miserable, but people miss the talent and the illusion of happiness that he created.

4. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

I agree with your observation, Alphadogg16. I can understand that a casual interest in Hollywood can be harmless, but it seems a growing number of people prefer keeping track of stars than the problems in their own lives or the important issues going on in the world. The media knows this and fuel the fire, so to speak; though I am not sure whether they do this more for corporate profit or to just contribute to the general state of ignorance.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Think the pecking order is for children &teens only? Oh no, it permeates throughout society. In fact, society is one BIG pecking order of one kind or another.There are the sombodies.....and ....us. read more

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This hub is an answer to the question.  Please read the hub and leave comments, thank you.

6. RobinBull profile image61
    RobinBullposted 4 years ago

Because we have messed up priorities.  We give fame to the wrong people.

7. Marina7 profile image80
    Marina7posted 4 years ago

I think it has to do with the capitalist society we live in. People just love to see famous people with money because they also want to be that way I guess.

working