jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Film remakes, do we need them?

1. gabrielthomas72 profile image78
    gabrielthomas72posted 4 years ago

Film remakes, do we need them?

The world of film is now awash with remakes of films from the distant and not so distant past. Is it a good idea to remake these older films with new actors and technology, or should they be left to stand alone in their own right?

2. ilikegames profile image80
    ilikegamesposted 4 years ago

I think it's nice to remake movies, especially because new technology can really bring the films to life. It also lets new generations experience classic movies (they aren't going to watch an old movie!)

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years ago

As ilikegames says, film remakes can be good, but the operative word is "can". There's no justifying remakes of more modern films, but older ones perhaps. I don't know what the producers see in these remakes because it's a solid fact they'll never see a shred of the classic factor that the originals did, no matter how recent or old. Yes we have the technology and advancements in acting but I've yet to see them be put to good use.

If you're trying to educate a new audience by remaking older films, that's what documentaries are for and they can be well made. Remaking older films is not the answer and is only a cheap substitute for making a decent and original film.

4. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Having new technologies and actors does not promise an overall better production. There are many remakes that, for me, just flounder in terms of overall production quality and appeal, e.g. Conan, Spider-Man, Romeo and Juliet, the Pink Panther films.I think in these examples the remakes were flawed for either over-emphasis on techno "glitz" and/or certain kowtowing to politically correctness. There have been a few remakes that are as good as the original, but in general, I feel the film makers would have done better to create their own original movie.

And I just pray no one ever attempts to remake certain greats, like The Godfather trilogy and Citizen Kane. A flawed production of these would strike me as an embarrassing shame on part of the remakers.

5. merej99 profile image83
    merej99posted 4 years ago

For the most part I cannot stand remakes!  I do enjoy the comic book inspired movies because of the better special effects (Spiderman, Superman, Ironman, etc.)
    But special effects sometimes cause too much eye-candy for me.  I much prefer the original Star Wars movies (Episodes IV, V & VI) over Episodes I, II, and III! 
    As bad as the effects were for Clash of the Titans (the 80's version), the remake - though some say was more true to the books - was so far from what I was familiar with that I could not enjoy it, even with Liam Neeson (*sigh*).
    I was quite offended with the Sound of Music remake on TV to the point that I refused to watch (and never will).  I might have accepted it just a little if they had gotten a true stage singer instead of a headliner.
    Some movies just need to be left alone.  Can you imagine a remake of Little Shop of Horrors, Clockwork Orange or Rocky Horror Picture Show?  I don't think so!

6. brutishspoon profile image66
    brutishspoonposted 4 years ago

I watched the new Total Recall not so long ago and was always comparing it with the original. The fact that the story was changed for me was a problem.

I will watch the new Robocop but I'm not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did the original.

A really old film could benefit from a remake with new technology, but a film that is less than 30 years old may not benefit enough.

My answer is the old adage of if its not broken don't fix it.