jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Television. I know it's tough to consider. Should we start to give it up?

1. Arnold Flores profile image61
    Arnold Floresposted 3 years ago

Television. I know it's tough to consider. Should we start to give it up?

2. jonmcclusk profile image60
    jonmccluskposted 3 years ago

Ya know, I find myself thinking this same thing every time I turn on the television, which is actually quite rare. I find that I only follow a few shows and when I do follow them it's not all that close. However, when I do finally want to watch those shows, I watch them using the programs offered by cable companies to watch past episodes of that show. I suppose my vote isn't to stop television; news and weather channels receive a whole bunch of views and are probably still be needed. No, I suppose my vote is to make all television watched as an on-want basis? Then again, there's something special about having YOUR show that you watch every *insert night* with some popcorn and your favorite buddy or your best girl. Eh, I guess I'm undecided really, I don't see a NEED for giving up television, but I could see why someone else might not want to view it as much.

3. favored profile image37
    favoredposted 3 years ago

I didn't grow up on much TV and those who know me are aware that I haven't had "TV" for ten years.  I have one, but no signal. It's mainly for DVS's and a place for cats to perch. 

Of course now with the Internet you can get programs, but we don't do that either.  If it's on You Tube we may view it.  There's so many programs trying to steal our time that I don't want to get caught in that trap. I want to live out my dreams, not watch others live theirs. Good question though.

4. profile image0
    Daveadams36posted 3 years ago

Give it up ASAP buddy, & in a few months time you will never look back....The T.V is "only" there to brainwash the masses into becoming "consumer robots", & to believing all our governments contrived manipulated scripted controlled news....Keep the masses watching the wars abroad which they start, & take away the masses rights etc while we're all looking at the middle east....Giving up watching the T.V means "forcing" yourself to entertain yourself with your god given energy, & so eventually your whole life will get better as you get out there doing stuff....Then you can watch in amazement at all your friends & family etc, who just can't accept the fact that you don't watch tele & don't even have one!lol....You'll become like me 1 in I'd say 10,000, & someone who has no clue as to who's on X factor etc....Try giving it up & you'll see how hard it is too give up, because you probably like most people are in fact addicted to it as a way to relieve boredom....Just like i was by the way, but i quit a few months ago....I fought the boredom by doing things i loved doing which takes massive effort finding at first, but now honestly it's in my top 10 essential things that everyone has to learn. :-)

Arnold Floresposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good opinion, and excellent drive to learning new things. Kudos.

2. profile image0
      Daveadams36posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks buddy, & good luck.

5. JoanCA profile image88
    JoanCAposted 3 years ago

I only watch 4 to 5 hours of TV per week. I don't think it's necessary to give it up though. It's a good source of news and entertainment if you don't overdo it.

6. profile image60
    VinnieAmbroiseposted 3 years ago

I gave up television years ago and have not had a moment's regret. Just got tired of the nonsensical, dirty, vulgar, violent, inappropriate and mentally challenged programming. Have only computers now and am very happy. I think we might see a national rise in IQ if most people gave up the 'tube'. Lol.

Arnold Floresposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Would you say it would be difficult for a child to just stop?  Cold turkey.

2. profile image0
      Daveadams36posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You have to trick the child away from the T.V, by finding them some hobbies/interests/sports etc that they love doing.

Closed to reply

working