jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

What do you do when you're bored?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image96
    TessSchlesingerposted 17 months ago

What do you do when you're bored?

I find the more money I have, the less bored I am. That's because money gives me the ability to go out and do things. Unfortunately, I'm frequently running out of money. So I read, socialize on the web, write articles, walk, go to the occasional movie, etc. But I find that there is only so much to do when one is bored. What do you do when bored?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13208228_f260.jpg

2. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 17 months ago

IF I happen to have a period where I get bored, I will paint or write. My girlfriend and I stay pretty busy so I don't get bored very often.

3. shanmarie profile image78
    shanmarieposted 17 months ago

There's always something to do to keep from getting bored. It's just a matter of figuring out what you want to do. Sometimes I make jewelry. Sometimes I read. Write. . .Probably things long the lines you mentioned. If I absolutely cannot find anything of interest and I am just that bored, I sleep. So long as I don't have any other pressing responsibilities to interfere with a nap. Of course, then I wouldn't be bored because I'd be doing something. LOL

TessSchlesingerposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Making jewelry takes money because you need to buy stock. Interestingly, I've just bought a couple of hundred bucks worth of beads to do the same thing! smile

2. shanmarie profile image78
      shanmarieposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Yeah. . .That is a problem when stock is out and money is low.. .  Good you have some for now!

4. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 17 months ago

Colorful mindless computer games are always good. There is no pressure to accomplish anything and they can go on forever and when you're tired of them there's no guilt in just turning them off.

Totally good! smile

5. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 17 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12926276_f260.jpg

I sketch.  Sketching clothes is one of my hobbies.  I simply love to create.  I used to shop but I have enough clothes that I aim to wear before I transition from the physical form when I die.  Of course, I LOVE the computer.  I do internet writing, reading, & watching historical documentaries on youtube.  I also window shop because I have stopped buying clothes & shoes- I have PLENTY that I must utilize.    I also attend museums to see art work, historical facts, & other educational facts.  I then have educational dvds from The Great Courses which I religiously watch & learn from.  There are always things to do when I am bored.  I am seldom bored.  I ALWAYS FIND something to keep me occupied.

@Tess, what you have said about the correlation to the amount of money to boredom is true.  The more monies people have, the less bored they will be as money affords various forms of entertainment.  The wealthy can find ways to entertain themselves via shopping, travelling, going to fine restaurants, attending operas & other forms of fun.  It is those who have little or no monies who oftentimes resort to more negative activities when they are bored because of lack of monies.

I would definitely do more courses if I had the money. I would also travel more. I also do window shopping. smile I used to doodle but went off it because it seemed such a waste of time. Great response! smile

2. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Thank you.

6. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 17 months ago

I never really get bored. when the money is low i try to create a routine which uses as little money as possible. I walk to places instead of using the car (uses up more time) ... fix broken things at home, gardening (only need the tools once)... creating things i need out of wood (made my own bed and side drawers), extra detailed cleaning of the house / car, washing the carpets in the rooms etc. I also used to go hiking (good exercise for free), then spending time online doing research on things of interest or for my articles and watching movies (from the dvd collection i made when i had money)... So many things can be done with minimal expenditure, with very little room for boredom.

7. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 17 months ago

Many things. A discovery today is when I am bored, personally, the answer is to learn, however the solution set is something different. For instance because I was bored watching TV this morning with the same news from last night I came here to read the questions. I was seeking something to learn.

This question sparked just such an adventure with research, of which I am thankful of its discovery. Because of that I have much to ponder today. Through the adventure I learned boredom is relatively a new area of research by the scientific (Psychology) community. Historically it dates to Dickens work 'Bleak House' (1852) as a 'new word' describing an emotional state, yet goes back to ancient Greece and Rome.

One of many articles I discovered of interest to read is from Smithsonian.com "The History of Boredom": http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n … 27/?no-ist

So, next, I was left pondering the paradoxical question "Can 'I' become bored with learning, why, and its answer with a solution set. Seems one article points out lowering arousal is an answer. hmmmm . . . The article also discusses the relationship of attention focus related to the environment. hmmmm . . .

Here is the source. Psychology Today "What is Boredom?": https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ul … is-boredom

A personal adage to add is Remember, No Pressure . . . Have fun, fun, fun as best as can be . . .

That is extremely interesting. I never knew there was research on boredom Have to check that out! wink Thanks.

8. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 17 months ago

Go shopping when I have the money.  But like you I don't always have the money or when I do, I simply don't know what to buy when I do have the money and I have enough clothes where I shop only to replace clothes that get worn out.

Other things I do when I am bored or just don't want to clean house:

Read-plenty of free books I can read on my Kindle
    Watch Movies on Netflix
    Go to the Gym
    Go to the American Legion for drinks-they are cheaper than some of the other bars
    Write
    Make a shopping list for next weeks dinners/meals.
    Playing Games online-especially Pogo and Facebook Games
    Build Something on MineCraft
    Learn new things-I like to go on Skillport and Alison

9. Jadon Hardy profile image60
    Jadon Hardyposted 17 months ago

I listen to music, and play my favorite PC game, The Sims 3. I actually listen to music even when I'm not bored, I'm that obsessed...

10. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 16 months ago

I catch up on tv shows I missed on the playback, phone/message friends I haven't chatted to in a few days and check my email.

working