jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Ever Notice How Country Players are Just...Better?

1. 6 String Veteran profile image73
    6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago

Now before you throw your fist up at me please realize that the SUBJECT LINE WAS JUST TOO SHORT FOR THE FULL TITLE TO THIS ARTICLE. So here it is:

GUITAR PLAYERS: EVER NOTICE HOW 'COUNTRY' PLAYERS ARE TYPICALLY MORE ABLE THAN OTHER PLAYERS?

BY 'MORE ABLE' I simply mean the technical standard is higher. These guys (and gals) are playing using a clean sound with usually little more than Reverb, and they k-ck b-tt. No Marshall stacks* needed.

...I'm talking about guys like Scotty Anderson, and William Ladd, to name just two.

I've even seen families on the Tube where all the kids played ome type of string instrument, whether it be banjo / mandolin / steel string, etc., and played way better than a typically adult player.

Must be in the blood.

IF you agree, what are your thoughts as to why this is?

6SV

1. KF Raizor profile image59
      KF Raizorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think country guitarists, by and large, play better because they have to.  It's much more difficult to play acoustic or "soft" music with nothing to hide behind, so it takes more ability.  I think, in general, the louder and more "gimmicky" a person plays the less talented they are.  The loudness and antics mask the limited ability. 

Watch Chet Atkins.  He never had to make grimacing faces or set fireworks off behind his playing.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You took the words right off my keyboard. 

Chet Atkins.  His mastery will likely never be equaled.

2. 6 String Veteran profile image73
        6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, Chet was 'the man' in his day (and even now).

2. blues lessons profile image76
      blues lessonsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Answer to question - No.

Ok, but why do you say so?

3. classicalgeek profile image88
      classicalgeekposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the people who play classical music, like the late Segovia, have to be at the top. I have no idea about modern music as I never listen to anything written after Mahler died but when I am exposed to it (in someone's house, at the store, etc.) I don't see much to write home about.

2. GAbaptist profile image79
    GAbaptistposted 6 years ago

Country players definitely have better chops than most other genre guitarists (with the exception of Jazz and Classical, maybe). I have been playing guitar for over 20 years and there is not a rock-type song that can't be learned in a matter of just a few days at most, because it is primarily just power chord variations and lots of scales for lead work. Country music has so many other dynamics going on at the same time and they are the hardest songs to get right. Most country guitarists are masters at flat-picking and finger-picking at the same time... then throw in the timing of double-stops and string-bending/skipping... It can get overwhelming very quickly!

Just listen to modern players like Keith Urban or Brad Paisley. They are the one's in the spotlight... but there are more that are ten times better who are just strictly session guitarists.

I love to play rock type music myself, but the there is no doubt who the more accomplished guitarists are.

Agreed...William Ladd, Scotty Anderson, etc., etc....those guys are amazing.

3. leni sands profile image78
    leni sandsposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your post--it shows an excellent guitar player and, in doing so, backs up the topic title.

(Referring to the 1st vid) Jazz, Western Swing, and Bass 'n' Chord style were playing seamlessly by this gentleman. No effects used, save Reverb (which I hardly consider an 'effect' since it's so natural).

working