jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

Black Swan movie review

1. profile image56
    Loveenposted 6 years ago via iphone

Black swan features Natalie Piortman and Ma kunis (The Book of Eli) and is about Nina's (Natalie) role as the new queen swan. She is a mentally unstable ballerina and Although the storyline starts out with an intreging dance duet, and keeps you guessing through the movies progress, it falls flat in the morality and cleanliness. With the F word being said over 10times and numerous sexual inuindo and sex scenes it is a skip for sure.

1. filmchick1987 profile image77
      filmchick1987posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've heard it has disturbing lesbian sex scenes. I was all for watching it till then. Not that I'm against lesbians, but it was clearly put in there just to stir up some controversy.

1. Tina Kachan profile image41
        Tina Kachanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree about stiring up and controversy, but in my opinion the scene really was connected to the story, although I think that it should have been done differently and less explicit, that would be much better.

2. spookyfox profile image72
        spookyfoxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

SPOILERS (sort of)

Didn't find it disturbing at all. There are much more disturbing scenes regarding violence (one specially with her mom).

I wouldn't judge why is a scene there before watching the movie though.

1. Tina Kachan profile image41
          Tina Kachanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I didn` think there would be so much disturbing scenes. I thought that one when she was ripping her skin of (when she broke her nail or something like that) was terrible. Especially when you watch it in cinema on a huge HD screen and surround system  big_smile

1. spookyfox profile image72

That scene was creepy, even if I had to watch it at my computer hmm Still not in cinemas where I live.

2. filmchick1987 profile image77
          filmchick1987posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't need to watch it to know why it's there. Why do you think they show explicit sex in films? Just hinting at it and showing them lying in bed afterwards would get the point across, but they put it in there because sex sells. The lesbian aspect just makes people talk about it more.

So you think sex is not artistically justifiable, but violence is? Sex is a natural part of life, that's why it's put into movies.

There's a difference between explicit and gratuitous. And you do need to watch it in context to tell them appart.

2. Rebecca ShawGove profile image58
      Rebecca ShawGoveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you Loveen.  I have posted a critical review of Black Swan as well:  http://hubpages.com/hub/BALLET-REVIEW-BLACKSWAN.

2. profile image56
    Loveenposted 6 years ago via iphone

Mila*

3. superwags profile image80
    superwagsposted 6 years ago

Wow, what a bunch of prudes on here!

I dreaded the idea of watching a film about a mad balerina, but it was excellent. Not as good as the King's Speech (which I watched the previous week), but still excellent.

1. feelingfoxy profile image60
      feelingfoxyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you, Black Swan was excellent. The best film I've seen in a long while...I can't remember when I last left a theater so pumped with adrenaline and as anxiety-riddled as Natalie Portman's character that I felt it might be a little unsafe for me to be driving a car.

4. spookyfox profile image72
    spookyfoxposted 6 years ago

Well I've just written a hub regarding the discussed scene and why after watching the movie twice, I think it's more than justified. It contains spoilers, but if you're not planning to watch it anyway you might be interested to read.

5. profile image0
    KJS411posted 6 years ago

thanks for the insight on this movie. I feel compelled to see it since it is up for a handful of Oscars although this is not "my type" of movie. I've chosen The King's Speech and True Grit the last few times to the movies but will see Black Swan at some point. Thanks again. The two movies I've mentioned are terrifc and worth seeing.

I'm planning on watching them both, and I hear The Fighter is good too. Recently watched 127 Hours and thought it was marvelous.

1. profile image0
        KJS411posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I saw The Figher before the first two I mentioned and loved it. I like Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale and I grew up fairly close to that area. I was familair with the Irsih Mickey Ward story and wanted to see how the movie portrayed his life. Also heard 127 hours was terrific and is next on my list if and when I find the time. It's a rush to see these all before the Oscars.

6. profile image55
    PollyPocket32posted 6 years ago

I haven't gotten to see the Kings Speech but I loved Black Swan and the Fighter. Both very good movies and I would gladly watch them both over again!

working