I'm a mother of 3 boys. I have a step daughter that I just can't connect with...

1. profile image47
    MrsSposted 7 years ago

I'm a mother of 3 boys. I have a step daughter that I just can't connect with...

She's nine years old and I've been in the picture for 3 years.  I still feel like an outsider.  Lately, no matter what I try to plan for family events, she constatnly compares everything I do to her mother.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this normal?  I'm just not used to girls. I've always been a tomboy, myself...

2. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 7 years ago

She's either rebelling or she really isn't used to the idea of another mother in the picture. It could be that she feels left out thus isolates herself from you. You could try to spend a day with her and only her. I know some kids think that because they are "step-children" they aren't loved as much as the others.

3. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

it sounds like the girl's saddened by the breakup of her own parents. this is normal. she felt safe/comfortable where she was. she had no say over what happened. now u, the step mom r in her life. this is probably very hard 4 her 2 accept. u can never replace her own mom, but u can if she lets u, b her friend & help her thru this.

i'd look @ the possibility that maybe she 'feels left out thus isolates herself' as mentioned b4. i strongly feel that this very same thing may also b the case in many adults' lives. those w/ few contacts; who r wrongly judged by others. when rejection results, adults can feel left out & isolate themselves, 2. i sure hope researchers read this & do a serious study on this issue