jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What have learned about raising kids, over the years?

1. ethel smith profile image79
    ethel smithposted 7 years ago

What have learned about raising kids, over the years?

2. Thunder Vixen profile image59
    Thunder Vixenposted 7 years ago

I know you will probably say I'm young and I am. However I raised my brothers and babysat many kids. I have learned that it's easier to get kids to listen to you when you talk to them like they are an adult and explain why they can't do certain things instead of just jumping the gun on them, yet at the same time you must understand they are children and therefore you must play with them as if you were a child. They build a lot of respect for you that way, especially once they reach the age of eight and want to feel older. Another thing I learn is spanking kids doesn't work, I never have but some of the parents I babysat for did and it never worked and they laughed about it and kept misbehaving,  but when I put them in time out they would cry for a while and beg. When they finally calmed down and did their time they were so happy to get out of time out that they stayed good.

3. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

Most of the stuff that I learned is by making mistakes with my son.   He is now making mistakes with his daughter (not too bad), but I have learned to keep still.   Wait until I am asked.  Sometimes this causes the nails to be bitten down to the quick.

Make sure that you listen, they might be telling you something important about themselves.

4. Anne Pettit profile image71
    Anne Pettitposted 7 years ago

I have learned that kids can be taught the same skills as adults and be quite capable.  A competent child is a more secure child.  If you have children, dont do anything that you can teach your children to do.

5. Sterling Carter profile image75
    Sterling Carterposted 7 years ago

After 4 kids I learned that they each have their own minds. Even with the exact same upbringing, rules and parents, they each turned out completely different.

working