Do You Really Obey Film Ratings With Kids?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I mean you've got U, PG, PG 13, 15,and all that. What if its a really cool movie, like 300 or Sin City for instance, but its got a lot of violence and some sex in it. What do you do? I mean, do you really obey the codes? Are you that strict to the latter is what I'm asking? Parents with kids, Uncles and Aunts with nephews and nieces, babysitting hubbers post away!

1. Anna Erwin profile image61
      Anna Erwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, not usually.  I think most of them are stupid.  I have seen cartoons rated G that I think are more "damaging' to my kid then PG13 films.

If there is too much blood or violence in them, then she can't watch it even if it is a really cool Ninja flick or something.  Really it just depends.

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

interesting, well you better keep them away from the anime movie Ninja Scroll - its cool as hell, too! smile

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep! Very careful what the little ones watch. The older children get to break the rule if the movie is hot, and it is deemed by their mom that a particular child is old enough for a particular movie. So no, do not always stay strictly within the guidelines smile

1. profile image0

Flexibility with carefulness. That oughta do the trick. smile

1. earnestshub profile image80

Works OK fiery, and I agree with Irohner. We make the decisions, the ratings for cartoons can be a mess as stated, and I have noticed the "token violence" for ratings too..

1. profile image0

Yeah, and you gotta watch out for those Japanese anime. The drawings look cute as hell, with big ol eyes and everything, but when you watch it, its got sex and people slashing heads off! smile

1. earnestshub profile image80

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up fiery, I will make sure to be careful of that.

1. profile image0

You're welcome, ernest. Anything to ensure the kids keep their innocence for as long as possible. smile

2. lrohner profile image69
            lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, then, I hope you are homeschooling them. Cuz if you're not, they are getting quite the education,and u need 2 be prepared to deal with it!

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

No freaking way! I dare ANYONE to tell me what I can and can't do with my kids! If a movie had a pg 13, 15 and all that rating, I would view it first and figure out myself as their mom whether they could watch it and/or when I needed to put my hands over their eyes!

Although, too many movies that would normally be G rated have writers that throw in a few seconds of blood, sex or something else to bump it to PG 13. Jurassic Park (the original) is a perfect example. Sheesh. Cut it out Hollywood!

1. profile image0

I trust your strong mindedness Irohner. smile

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, CJ. Although as a mom of 3 kids, I can tell you that most moms that I knew were just lemmings that followed the ratings.

3. PhilD41 profile image67
    PhilD41posted 14 years ago

I can't say that we worry about the rating, but be preview everything before they see it and then make the decision.  Then again, our oldest is only three so we are a little more protective.  We also know him and his personality so just because a movie has a G on it, it doesn't mean it won't scare him or bring up subjects he is not able to understand.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I was never a big fan of too much "passive entertainment" for kids under 13 anyway, so I think the occasional movie made just for younger kids ought to be enough of a treat for those younger kids. 

Even then, though, previewing isn't a bad idea.  I bought "Land Before Time" (a cartoon for young kids) for my kids years ago.  We just popped in, started to happily watch it, and at one point it seems the baby dinosaur loses his mother.  Then there was a little bird (or something) who seemed to be eaten by something or else swallowed up in a fire.  I had three kids all break out in serious sobbing (hmm and yet lol  ).  I let them finish the movie because I knew it would end happily - but I hid the trauma-producing movie really well and vowed to preview all others in the future.

5. Alastore001 profile image60
    Alastore001posted 14 years ago

I personally think its a bunch of crap! Although there is a need for censorship, things are getting ridiculous these days.
    For myself, personally, i think you should be allowed to watch whatever you want. Within reason at least, i mean you dont want your young child seeing alot of nudity etc
    I have always been allowed to watch violent/scary or whatever movies, regardless of the content when i was a child.

Of course this is also one of those subjects when it really comes down to what you allow for your child or however the person is related.

6. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

My friends kids do spend some time with me and sometimes I allow them to watch Cert 12 or 15. (one is 7, one is 11).
    I watch it with them and if there's any hanky panky in the film, I tend to cover their eyes playfully or stand infront of the telly.  Having said this, I wouldn't let them watch a Cert 18. That's a no no...

1. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I remember back when I was in elementary school, when it was pouring outside, all the kids got hoarded in and we went to the auditorium to watch "Back to the Future."  Mind you we were all 5th and 6th graders and we all loved the film.  However, one kid's mom learned of this and threw a fit about her "innocent son" whose mind was "polluted" from watching the film.  She wanted to sue the school, the board of education, the town, and planet earth as showing her son the film "proved damaging."  Whatever took place, she lost in the end...Probably for being a pain in the rear!  We're talking about a rated PG movie!

1. Lady_E profile image61
        Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My goodness - talk about going OTT.
        I think there are some weird people around who are just waiting to sue the pants off any one for no good reason.
        "Back to the Future" is a favourite film for kids. smile

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

There's always going to be a few of "those" parents.  When I was a kid I babysat for three little girls down the street.  The parents made it clear they only had Bible stories in the house, and I should not bring any other children's stories to read to them (like those "ever-evil" Goldenbooks for young children, with stories like the little engine that could and other "evil" like that).  In the meantime, the little girls were nasty little girls outside their home; and I never knew any little girls who enjoyed the game of, "Let's-think-up-and-say-all-the-dirty-words-we-know" like these kids did.   lol

8. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I monitor what our son watches however he has seen PG13 etc. if if there is to much violence or way to much sex then absolutely not he is to young and the world is bad enough why add more then they need. Let them enjoy life as a child without shoving it all in there face. Just my own thoughts. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)