jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

How do you deal with walking in on your son masturbating?

1. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 7 years ago

How do you deal with walking in on your son masturbating?

I guess it is something that all parents need to prepare themselves for. It can be traumatizing for a parent to be put in such an awkward position. Should you speak about it with your child? or should you just act as if nothing ever happened?

2. omcj1234 profile image55
    omcj1234posted 7 years ago

Unless, you have some really important advice to bestow on him I'd recommend not talking to him. He's probably 100 times more embarrassed than you and he'll only feel more awkward if you bring it up. I'm sure he'll be more careful not to get caught in the future. Besides, it's better than catching him with a girl, right?

1. profile image61
      almorrposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Fortunately I have never been caught masturbating in the 'thousands' of time that I have done it, I am sure it would be embarrassing to say the least for me and whoever caught me.  I think my parents would understand the the needs of a teenager.

3. Mikeydoes profile image77
    Mikeydoesposted 7 years ago

Drop it instantly.. It never happened. End of story, best solution.

4. shazwellyn profile image50
    shazwellynposted 7 years ago

Ignore it as if you hadn't noticed.  It is private.

5. Pitviper_actual profile image61
    Pitviper_actualposted 7 years ago

Knocking first is the golden rule. It is a natural way to get to know ones body. It is a personal experience and is better left alone. As a parent don't get creepy. Let it go and he will grow out of it.

6. sandun81 profile image57
    sandun81posted 7 years ago

Honor his privacy. Now you he is sexually active. Better to talk with about sexuality and tell him some facts. But not immediately, do it gradually.

7. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice...

8. Loveslove profile image58
    Lovesloveposted 7 years ago

If he is old enough to be doing that then he is old enough to have  privacy...and that means you having the manners to knock before entering his room..that way you wont catch him and there will be no embarrasment !!

9. Ebonyfountain23 profile image55
    Ebonyfountain23posted 7 years ago

shut the door and let him empty his load, if not 9 months later welll we all know

10. tiffany delite profile image77
    tiffany deliteposted 7 years ago

i don't allow my children to lock their doors, but i do allow them to close them, and i always, always, always knock and then wait a second or two before walking in.

as for masturbating, i'm sure they probably do this, but i have never caught them. one reason might be that when they were very little (2-3) and they would start getting curious and start kind of touching themselves, i would tell them that i understood that it felt good, but that it was private and that they should do it when they have private time - like in the bathroom, or at night when they are alone in their bedrooms and everyone else is sleeping.

working