What do your kids choose to play with instead of toys?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

What do your kids choose to play with instead of toys?

I'm asking because my silly toddler is obsessed with my voltage tester. lol. It's completely harmless, it's like a big plastic pen that beeps and lights up when you press the side... but I find that he is attracted to the weirdest things! It used to be a flash light...and there was a Tupperware dish..

2. joleenruffin profile image61
    joleenruffinposted 13 years ago

When my kids were younger (under 3), we had the same issue. My husband and I often wondered why we even bought toys...now I remember, it was so they could play with the boxes! Now that they're older they actually play with the toys we buy...at last.

3. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

Mine all liked to play with the strangest things as well. He probably likes the volt tester because of the beeps and lights. My twins are now 22 and the oldest one still picks anything up that he can and will toss it and twiddle it, drives me crazy. I remember one time my youngest (he was about 1 1/2) was obsessed with my tweezer...for the longest time I did not understand this. One day I went into the bathroom and there on the counter were the tweezers and the light socket had a burn in it....Thank God he was okay and did not get and electrical shock. Never thought I needed a plug cover in the bathroom as it was high up. He had to have climbed on the counter while I was thinking he was napping.

4. lilibees profile image61
    lilibeesposted 13 years ago

I have seen my kids play with everything but there toys, blankets, and pillows for clubhouses!

5. bogerk profile image71
    bogerkposted 13 years ago

My daughter is for more interested in playing with the TV Remote Control or our cellphones than any toy we have ever bought her.

6. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Kids have a great imagination and a lot of curiosity.  While you want to develop those things it is probably best that you teach them to leave things alone which their curiosity attracts them to like tools, etc. The voltage tester may not hurt them but what if the child decides to stick the prongs in an electical outlet because he has seen you do it that object?  What if next time it is a saw or knife instead of a flashlight.  The key here is not to make the flashlight off limits but to make it something that you say is all right for them to play with...to search their imagination by lying on their back and shining a beam of light on the ceiling...a light saber for the knight!  WB

7. onegoodwoman profile image70
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

He seems normal to me!

Pots and pans
    empty boxes
    the broom
    the light switches

I keep telling my daughter, her child has far too many toys for a two year old.  She swivels the bar stool for entertainment.

8. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 13 years ago

Boxes, my kids liked the boxes toys came in better than the toy itself. One of my sons use to tie up all the dinning room chairs. I thought this strange, but then his younger sister, younger by 12 years, did the same thing. They both used ribbon and rope. The chairs became trains, blanket forts, or rocket ships.

9. internett1t3 profile image62
    internett1t3posted 13 years ago

Lots of kids now are playing a online games in some Social network Site.

10. DreadPirate profile image59
    DreadPirateposted 13 years ago

Every year at Christmas my girls (5, 9) ask for all kinds of toys and never play with them... They have a Barbie doll house they haven't touched all year (they got last Christmas) and for some reason, they want another one?!
    They love to dance and sing more than anything else... I find my 5 year old in the garage with me working on my motorcycle a lot of times... and my 9 year old is often times found on the Karaoke machine (or singing to online Karaoke songs)... I kind of find this funny considering they have a room full of toys... but, I figure as long as they are having fun and not doing anything dangerous, more power too em!
    I remember when I was a kid playing inside the boxes more than with they toys that came in them LOL! I'm pretty sure that's normal... And yer kid playing with a voltage tester is really neat! Next thing you know he will be an electrician! Very cool if ya ask me!

11. john@patatusfoam. profile image60
    john@patatusfoam.posted 13 years ago

Well I guess they play with toys, just not the ones that are meant for them .. they prefer the dog toys over anything.

12. heidialissa profile image54
    heidialissaposted 13 years ago

My two year old daughter loved playing with her father, her father had done anything very interesting for her and we can be sure  she'll throw a toy that she held when her father arrived. playing slide on his feet, jumping on his back, singing, tell a story .. even play games online together (although my daughter did not understand it).

13. webtwilight profile image40
    webtwilightposted 13 years ago

My little girl spends her time playing sims 2 than back to playing Nancy Drew games on her computer.

14. Taleb80 profile image80
    Taleb80posted 13 years ago

My daughter likes to play like a mom for her brother, and as a wife for our neighbor's kid.

15. Detective L profile image60
    Detective Lposted 13 years ago

Kids  usually pay with their hand and are very sensitive to red colors red and yellow.  I once tested that out of curiousness; same ball black and red. the kid followed the red one in 5 test.  I know its crazy for a kid to be a test sample but he is my brother and i gave him some candies(sugarless) after.

16. leni sands profile image67
    leni sandsposted 12 years ago

a large pan and a wooden spoon or several different sized card board boxes - loads of fun!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)