jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you do when you become the parent to your parent?

1. Christy Goff profile image56
    Christy Goffposted 7 years ago

What do you do when you become the parent to your parent?

2. FaithDream profile image78
    FaithDreamposted 7 years ago

I did. I prayed a lot, & then, I became her best friend.

3. mviadam profile image59
    mviadamposted 7 years ago

It depends on what level you refer to.  By that I mean; are you physically care taking them, or emotionally?

I suppose you mean emotionally, as would I.  My mom suffers from bi-polar and I have been the parent of that relationship since I was 16.  At first I resented the role, because I was so young and hadn't squared with the whole situation.

Now that I have I feel I am in a better place of understanding.  The first thing I would recommend to you is that you stop internalizing anything they tell you as coming from a parent, but rather a person with emotional needs.

If you can do that then it will be easier to deal with the stress the relationship causes because you won't take any of it personally.  From that point it becomes easier to manage.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

I can't imagine how hard that would be. I lost my parents when I was a girl, my dad when I was 8, my mom when I was 15 and I am an only child. 

I suppose I would look deep into their eyes and try and remember the joy they felt when I was born.  I would try and understand how they feel having lost the ability to care for themselves.  And I would pray--a lot.  It has to be one of the hardest things in life to become the caregiver to the caregiver. 

If this is your situation, May God grant you patience and wisdom. Good luck.

working