jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the top behavior management issue faced by parents?

1. ThunderKeys profile image62
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

What is the top behavior management issue faced by parents?

Are your kids not doing what you ask them? Talking back? Poor academic performance? What are some of the top behavior management issues facing parents today?

2. trimar7 profile image59
    trimar7posted 7 years ago

It is probably not the one behavior that should be looked at but the parental managment that may need to be reviewed. Consistency is key. Probably the one thing that parents should internalize is to ensure that the message is not being sent to the child that the world evolves around them. They may be the apple of your eye but the rest of the world will not respond as such. Many children have a hard time realizing this. You actually make it more difficult for your children if this message is conveyed. Love does not mean giving them everything. One more thing - foster independence. The job of a parent is to get the child to NOT need them. I often encounter wonderful parents as a teacher but I gently try to share that they need to cut those apron strings. It is truly best for the child. Be there when they need you but not when they do not. Happy parenting.

3. ThunderKeys profile image62
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

I know exactly what you mean. Having worked as a behavioral consultant for a major school board, I've seen this "center of the world" phenomenon a number of times. But to what extent is the "center of the world" phenomenon confused with "the squeaky wheel gets the greaseā€ phenomena; - with parents and students indirectly competing for access to scares resources and adult supervision?

With diminishing means for teachers, decreasing academic performance and increasing behavior management challenges, parents often need to aggressively advocate for and through their kids, even though they can't be there to see what is really going on.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

One of the top issues I see that is most often left unaddressed is talking back.  Another top one might be lying.

5. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I don't think parents "face 'behavior management' issues".  I think the behavior management is something children, themselves, are responsible for.

The issue for parents is to know how to nurture, and talk to, children in a way that children generally manage their own behavior.

I guess I'd like it better if this question were worded, "What is the top 'behavior support' challenge faced by parents?"  I don't know..  Somehow "behavior management" comes across as a little to controlling and/or removed.

Having put in my two cents on the term, "behavior management", I think the biggest challenge parents may face is finding a way to help kids be strong enough to resist outside influences, while also helping them be people who aren't outcasts among their peers.