When you answer your child by saying and using the phrase "because I said so" ..

1. Apostle Jack profile image62
    Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago

When you answer your child by saying and using the phrase "because I said so" ..do you?

...think that your child receive full understanding of what you meant. I would say that they are worse off without an explanation.
    I also think that when the person don't know the answer themselves is when they use that type of response.Do you agree?

2. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

Probably not. Sometimes we say it because we're busy or in a rush or trying to keep our cool for whatever reason. I agree with you that sometimes people use it because they don't have an answer but i think a lot of the time it's because they don't have an answer the child can understand or accept. Sometimes people don't (at least in the moment) feel they have to justify or the time to explain themselves to a child.

I suppose it's said for different reasons at different times..Mostly though -  either to pacify or interrupt the child as the parents rushing about doing something or because the parent knows  (prob due to the age of the child) that no answer will satisfy the Why? that prompted the "beacause i said so".Kids do ask a lot of questions that are difficult to answer mind.

I think most other reasons such as indiffernece or annoyance etc would be less common explanations.Hope so anyway.

3. ThePracticalMommy profile image96
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

I remember learning about this in my teaching classes in college. Saying "Because I said so" doesn't teach the child anything but that you have dominance over them.

I agree with Rob Winters who said that sometimes people/parents use it as a short answer or as an answer for a child who may not understand the meaning behind the action that is wanted. It can be frustrating at times to deal with a child who is challenging a request made by a parent or teacher or other adults.

I find myself saying that to my son who is turning three, but then I remember my college days and tell him the reason in a story of sorts, kind of like an extended metaphor for what I'm asking him to do. I bring the reason down to his level; it may be in the form of a nursery rhyme or an example from one of his favorite books. Does he always understand? Perhaps not, but the story does divert his attention and stubborness for a minute and he most often complies with the request. smile

working