At what point do you draw the line?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. loneparentgiggles profile image60
    loneparentgigglesposted 12 years ago

At what point do you draw the line?

Today my mother used the keys I gave her in case I lost mine to enter my flat and put a letter in my kitchen. She had a good snoop around too. After her allowing my stepdad to hit me all through my childhood and teen years and finally driving me out of the family home at 16 (as I couldn't take anymore), is this the time to draw line and cut off all ties?

2. kschimmel profile image71
    kschimmelposted 12 years ago

As we say in the southern US, "Bless your heart!"  I'm sorry you've been through so much.

First, get your keys back so you have control of your space.  Then, find a trusted friend or neighbor to keep your backup key.  Nobody gets in your flat without an invitation from you.  After being violated like you have, you need control over your personal space.

Then, find someone to talk to--preferably someone with experience helping trauma victims.  A therapy that helped me with a different kind of trauma was EMDR, which you might find useful if you are diagnosed with Post-traumatic Stress, common with those who were abused as children.

You are a worthwhile person who deserves to be respected in your own flat.

3. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

Even though your mother snooped through your things is there anyone you can trust more than her with your keys?
    In my experience parents who care snoop, it's just what they do.
    Both my parents, who only spent 6 weeks together in their entire lives, were snoopers.

My father was still snooping when he had senile dementia.  Mother snooped when she took me in to keep me out of a rest home. I was in my late forties at the time. It bothered me a little until I realized that she had been doing it my whole life but only because she really cared. 

My step brothers and I were beaten once as a child, I came up swinging my brothers joined in and we sent my mothers boyfriend to the hospital. We never saw him again. He had a lot to think about for the two years he spent in prison for his crime.

One thing to remember no matter what your mother is always going to be the only mother you are ever going to have. If you back away do it gently, at some point in life you might actually want her in your corner.

If it had been the step father who was in your flat my answer would have been different.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i'll measure from one point out a certain predetermined distance, meaure out at another point and that's where i draw the line. i had to say that.
    i don't think i would cut all ties but i would definetly get my keys back. as for the step-dad, if he abused you i would cut ties with him.

5. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

You KNOW where to draw the line.............

You do not need permission..............you need resolve and strength.   I      do hope that you are able to obtain it.

6. DRobinson63 profile image61
    DRobinson63posted 12 years ago

Very sorry that you had to go through all that, I would take the keys back and just let her know how much it bothered you that she did that and try to keep an open relationship with her.

7. Stone Gifts profile image60
    Stone Giftsposted 12 years ago

I'd suggest just to take the keys back and to let her know that you don't like such a behavior. There's no need to draw the line, this act is not so terrible.

8. profile image0
    .josh.posted 12 years ago

I think you have some excellent answers here, and it's refreshing to see how sensible and well thought out so many Hubbers are.

I'm really sorry to hear what you went through, and I honestly can't even imagine having had to leave home at sixteen (but I was also a pretty messed up 16-year-old). For that reason, it's hard for me to say where the line actually is, so while I'll give you my opinion, ultimately you're the only one who knows the answer to this question.

Certainly, I would agree with most who said that virtually all parents are snoops. There's really no way around it, and it truly is - at least in many cases - just a sign that they care. It's natural. At the same time, however, with your past, I can understand why you're upset, and I think what you should do is take the keys from your mother, and talk to her about why you're upset. Talking might be difficult, but if you don't talk it out, you're always going to be asking this question whenever you two reach a conflict.

9. loneparentgiggles profile image60
    loneparentgigglesposted 12 years ago

Hi guys, thankyou all, some very sensible answers. Unfortunately (though for whom I'm not sure) this all came to a head tonight, when my mother and stepdad did it again, and got caught by me. They proceeded to knock on my neighbours doors trying to get info on me. When they tried to stop me from speaking and my stepdad tried his old controlling ways again and started squaring towards me I finally flipped. Needless to say, I got my keys back, they left very suddenly. I am now 'insane' because I got angry (I was never allowed to display emotion), 'lazy, not decent' and a 'disappointment'. They drew the line for me when they walked off without allowing me to speak and simply provoking me till they got the response they didn't want! All sorted I think!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)