jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What do you think are the most important qualities of a good/successful parent?

1. thebookmom profile image75
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

What do you think are the most important qualities of a good/successful parent?

2. kittythedreamer profile image97
    kittythedreamerposted 6 years ago

Teaching their children how to take care of themselves efficiently. Teaching their kids to be independent, fully functioning and productive members of society. Showing attention at the right times and withdrawing too much attention at the right times.

3. FaithDream profile image77
    FaithDreamposted 6 years ago

Loving them. Listening to them, I mean really listen. Kids don't always say with words what they're thinking. Know your children's friends. You can be a good role model to your child by actions, not words.
    Most of all, love them. Encourage them to be who they are. Don't compare them to others and praise them for their uniqueness.
    One day, they will return the favor.

4. profile image0
    nikashi_designsposted 6 years ago

The most important qualities of any successful parent in my opinion would be; patience and understanding, honesty, and be firm and confident with your replies.

5. seriousnuts profile image68
    seriousnutsposted 6 years ago

One important quality is being a good role model. Swearing, throwing things while ranting, arguing with the spouse in front of the children are some of the things parents do that affect their children's behavior. This will only encourage children to express their anger through negative means (such as throwing tantrums). When parents correct them, they will only get confused as what they see differs with what the parents preach.

Parents should also be understanding to raise their kids successfully. They should understand their children's needs and how to meet them as they go through different milestones. Parents should have empathy when disciplining their children. They have to consider that the environment, personality, fears, and peers affect their children's actions. Instead of scolding them immediately, parents should first understand the reason behind their mistakes.

Of course, no parents are perfect. Love can remedy all those imperfection. As long as children feel loved, despite the shortcomings of their environment, they will still grow up to be loving and caring adults.

6. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

We can theorize, ponder, and exchange techniques and views, even methods, until the cows come home.............

The TRUE test, is, what kind of citizen did we rear?

What "worked" for my first child, was not necessary for my 2nd, and my 3rd daughter was compassionate and sensitive.

In retrospect.....................KNOW your child and what he or she responds to.

Treat your child(ren) as the individual that they are.

7. thebookmom profile image75
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

Wow!  Awesome answers and advice.  Interesting the common theme seems to be know your kid and parent to their individual needs with honesty and respect.

8. rikabothra profile image59
    rikabothraposted 6 years ago

Since i am not a parent, my answer could be biased, but according to me the most important qualities of a good parent would be to understand the point of view of your children and not impose your thinking on them.
    I understand parents do need to teach us from right and wrong but at he same time they need to also keep in mind that there is a difference in their thinking and the younger generation.
    Also, even though parents may have certain dreams that they see for their children but they should never force their children to do what they want them to do, even though the children do not feel the same.
    Neither the parent or the children should take advantage of the understanding between them.

9. HennieN profile image61
    HennieNposted 6 years ago

For me it depends on what the definition of a succesful parent is.

I as a parent believe the most important skill to possess is to be able to coach your children rather than controlling them. If you have the ability to teach you child to be:

Responsible,
    Make decisions and face the consequences ,
    and Love and Support

your child, you are raising an adult that is ready to take on the world and mak a huge succes of it.

working