What about parenting skills?

1. Sheryl920 profile image59
    Sheryl920posted 6 years ago

What about parenting skills?

A young adult who still lives at home at 22 should he/she be pushed into making the decision to move out, and become independant?

2. Zabbella profile image78
    Zabbellaposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't push.  You have to see if they are trying.
    > Are they working to pay college tuition?
    >Are they working to help the parents? 
    >They have to show some initiative.

If they are being shiftless and not trying to either go to school or work...then I think you should give them some kind of ultimatum...give a time frame for them to shape up or ship out.

3. delaneyworld profile image78
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I definitely think it depends upon the situation.  If they have special needs, of course the answer will be different.  If they are going to college, they may need extra time to complete their studies and get on solid ground.  I think most parents have a sense of whether their children are ready or not.  Are they working?  Do they have an active social life?  Do they have the skills to live on their own?  Parents can sit down with their kids and discuss the issue.  The best thing to do is communicate and make sure they have the tools to be independent.

Probably one of the most important things for them to know is that you will always be there for them.  That makes leaving the nest that much easier.  smile

working