jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How important is it to eat dinner together as a family?

1. cyoung35 profile image86
    cyoung35posted 6 years ago

How important is it to eat dinner together as a family?

Do you think it's important to sit at the same table without cell phones and TV to eat dinner as a family? Why or why not?

2. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

These days family members hardly look at each other, or talk face to face.  Dinner time is an especially good time for enjoy food and fellowship together.  Call it a daily family date!

3. Vicki99 profile image78
    Vicki99posted 6 years ago

It is very important that families eat dinner together as often as possible. Obviously it is not possible to eat every night together with teenagers. With obligations such as jobs and sports it can be difficult, but eating together helps to strengthen familial bonds while allowing parents the chance to know what goes on in thier children's lives.

4. freecampingaussie profile image64
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

Yes , families need to spend time together to stay close and be there to help one another and mealtimes is a great time to turn off the phones, tv etc and enjoy each others company .
    There needs to be some flexability such as a teenager might have an evening out or a parent works late now & then but try keep to a family meal where possible .

5. GoCrazy profile image56
    GoCrazyposted 6 years ago

the main reason is learning and socializing. Children should learn how to behave at the table watching at parent's behavior. All the dinner habits will help them in society when they will leave parents house. Also dinner together can become a great tradition and good reason for a daily family reunion. Dutch families has got such traditions and they seem very happy.

6. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 6 years ago

When I was a child, my mother never sat at the dinner table with us. Now I know it was because she didn't want to be a part of our family anymore. Today, I make sure we eat together as a family because I want everyone to know how much I want to be a part of my family. I think it is important.

7. jg555 profile image59
    jg555posted 6 years ago

I think more than the meal and the communicating, it shows that the family is a family, which is good.

8. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! When my kids were growing up, we never had the tv or radio on, we talked to them, asked them about their days, discussed events, etc. It's important to have that face to face connection and to touch base. Especially with teenagers, it's tough to communicate agendas and schedules just by notes and messages.

Being at the table together also gives practice for social graces, making small talk, good manners and so on.

9. beautyspot2010 profile image58
    beautyspot2010posted 6 years ago

Very, it is a special time of the day when you can all sit down together and discuss your days, communication within a family is very important and many of us forget that