jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What compels you to help others?

1. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

What compels you to help others?

I'm curious about what triggers either the desire to help others, or the feelings of obligation to help others. What makes you decide, either impulsively or after some consideration, to offer your assistance to another person? Does the person in need make a difference? Is it the particular instance? Is it your situation in life?

2. Cat R profile image75
    Cat Rposted 6 years ago

There is a German wisdom that "One Hand washes the Other"!

I found that lending somebody a helping hand (pretty much the concept of "Paying Forward") will gain you personal satisfaction and the possibiity of getting help when you need it yourself!

Besides...

"If not You, Who? If not Now, When?"

3. Moonmaiden profile image80
    Moonmaidenposted 6 years ago

I think I'm just compulsively helpful. Sometimes I'm too helpful.  Once I chased down a man on a golf cart at a fair that had dropped his wallet.  When I caught up with him I realized he'd stolen the wallet and had ditched it on purpose.
    I think it has to do with me being an empath. I always seem to side with the underdog.

4. profile image0
    melafxposted 6 years ago

Hello, in my case, i guess i feel it most of time. I guess it's due to my child education and values my parents gave me. I just feel better if i see a situation that someone needs help, although i only can help if i have the means to it, course.

Cheers

5. romper20 profile image85
    romper20posted 6 years ago

It is a feeling which originates inside almost of an essence. Although usually that is what the reward for helping other is to your body. Help me help you!

6. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

Most of the time it is because they in some way remind me of me at some point in my life or just because I'm swayed to.  There are certain people who you just warm up to off the back

7. profile image0
    LillyGposted 6 years ago

I help others because I have been through hard times before and know how hard it is to find help. Situations arise that are beyond our control and when they do, without help we wouldn't survive as well as we should.

8. ALUR profile image68
    ALURposted 6 years ago

There are many reasons people give. I just read an article by Elizabeth Gilbert that talks about the subject. Sometimes we over give to compensate for what we have and other times in my case, I give because I want to others to relish in what I can afford to give them. However if you give as sometimes I caught myself doing, expecting equal rewards, that isn't truly giving.

I give now because I want to support NOT help people which can be taken in the wrong context. I will always have a giving nature and look forward to someone in my life with the same values...

9. Steve R McDowell profile image59
    Steve R McDowellposted 6 years ago

When I see  that they are helpless.  If they have no way to get out of their situation I feel compelled to help.

10. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

If it's within my power to help someone I just help in whatever way I can.  It's just what a lot of people do if/when they can.  It comes naturally to a lot of people.  I think it comes from having compassion and/or empathy (and caring about others) - at least for a lot of people.  A lot of others have other motives, of course.

11. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 6 years ago

The great commandments are: Love God, and Love Your neighbor. Love includes helping. My situation in life is... I am the luckiest person I know.

12. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I resist  another " obligation"...............parents, hubby, children, grandchildren, a job.............I have enough OBLIGATION.

Some people, and their needs, simply touch my heart in some little way or manner.

There is no great need for me to know "why"..................if they touch me, I am touched..............if they lead me, I am led.........if they speak, I listen...........

I do not spend much time, pondering the " why".

Either, I am , in your own words, " compelled" or I am not.

working