How did your parents discipline you as a child?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

How did your parents discipline you as a child?

2. calpol25 profile image61
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

My parents were extremely strict, but it was a good thing we knew manners, and we knew right and wrong and if we stepped out of line we were punished usually told off but if we were extremely bad then we got a smacked backside and sent to our rooms.
    I only got smacked once and always behaved after that episode, it did us no harm.

3. mediawizard profile image61
    mediawizardposted 12 years ago

A spanking every time I was naughty. I got my last spanking when I was 14.  I also got in time-out allot too.

4. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

It was just me and my mom, and I wasn't a problem--so she talked to me, told me right from wrong and that was about it.

After she died and I moved in with my aunt and uncle, they used grounding which I hated and it didn't really work.

5. LisaKoski profile image79
    LisaKoskiposted 12 years ago

My parents were very strict and when I was younger. They spanked me and my siblings and send us to our rooms. At one point my father used a willow tree branch and another time he used a homemade paddle. I think it was effective considering that I know I was never anything like the screaming and disrespectful children I deal with at work almost every day. Never hated my parents for it, even though my own methods for discipline will be different for my own children one day.

6. athena2011 profile image59
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

My parents were very strict and we were both spanked and sent to our room in punishment.

They taught me good manners and right from wrong and I'm glad that they did.

I think that the uproar these days about spanking is utter rubbish and a large part of the reason we have such out of control kids. Obviously I am against abuse with punishment, but spanking never hurt anyone when doled out properly.

7. bluewaterbay profile image60
    bluewaterbayposted 12 years ago

I didn't get in trouble very often, but when I did I was either spanked, grounded, or given a verbal reprimand.

8. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61
    seattleamilehigh1posted 12 years ago

i never got hit with anything other than a wooden spoon or a swat on the backside. My parents seemed to be real good at having me be scared of them without having to do much. I just knew that there were no threats, just promises. Thats how I think it should be, a healthy amount of respect mixed in with a little enforcement. Seems now (and I'm only 23) that kids aren't afraid of anything, which is concerning considering how fast our world moves today.

9. creativebutterfly profile image59
    creativebutterflyposted 12 years ago

Very badly, verbal abusive and physical abuse not nice at all...

10. iviskei profile image71
    iviskeiposted 12 years ago

I got flicked in the forehead when I misbehaved.

11. terced ojos profile image60
    terced ojosposted 12 years ago

I was raised in the "woop yo ass" tradition of the 70's and 80's.............Corporal punishment has since evolved into child abuse...

Does this mean that I have an excuse for my "impulse control" problem?

...you know that thing that happens when some idiot pisses you off and before you know it you've punched them in the face, choked them out and began to uncontrollably stomp them into a pulp while spewing consecutive explitives...later only to forget why you got angry in the first place...i've heard that lots of felons suffer from this particular psychosis...

Am I the only one?

12. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

Thank you for your candid responses, everyone.

When I was a child, my mother spanked us with her slipper if she was upset with us. On more rare occasions, if we were "really bad" my dad pulled out his belt. Only once did a parent's anger drive them to go a little further than that.

They also used a lot of angry scolding in loud voices. This is what has carried over into my own life - and I've worked very hard to stop doing it with people who upset me.

13. profile image0
    rutheddavidposted 12 years ago

coming from a broken family, I was disciplined most likely through abrupt and impulsive treatments. Perhaps because of the pressure my parents were undergoing regarding their separation during the time, they had lesser time spent talking to me or even giving me proper counsel.

Nevertheless, I could say that even though this was the case about me, the shortest spare time that either one of my parents spend with me are well appreciated, as I count them to be most important aspects of discipline that I ever received as a child.

Overall, I would say that the discipline that came from my parents was suffice enough to remind me of what kind of human being I should be which I had become at present. Regarding disciplining children and dealing with their behavior, here are some hubs I think would be helpful:

Understanding the Plight of a Stressed Child Part I:
    http://rutheddavid.hubpages.com/hub/Und … ssed-Child

and
    How to not loose your temper when disciplining your child:
    http://rutheddavid.hubpages.com/hub/How … your-child

14. profile image0
    cy10posted 8 years ago

They didn't really "discipline" me - generally I was well-behaved, so they had no reason to. When I did misbehave, though, I usually got screamed at for a few minutes, followed by tense silence in the house. Phrases like, "You're worthless! Even a dog would be a better child than you!" still ring in my mind. Threats like, "If you don't shape up immediately I'll go tell the principal tomorrow!" effectively reigned me in. They weren't the best at disciplining, but needless to say, I learned what's right and what's wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)