jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Sweet Memories - Do you remember the very first word your child said and who to?

1. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 6 years ago

Sweet Memories - Do you remember the very first word your child said and who to?

..... when they were a baby.

2. greatstuff profile image96
    greatstuffposted 6 years ago

I honestly don't remember, my wife probably does! My youngest is now 18years old, so it's been a while and as usual, father don't remember this stuff, mother does! (some of you may not agree with me!)

3. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 6 years ago

My husband was on the phone while holding my son... my boy looked at me and out of the blue said, 'seven.' Why he said seven I'll never know. 8-)

4. Lisa HW profile image71
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

My eldest son:  "kee" (kitty). He was ten months old, which accounts for the poor pronunciation.  smile  He put two words together when he was a little over a year:  When we'd turn the corner toward our house when we were in the car, he'd say, "uh uh ohm" (almost home).   He said those things to anyone who was listening, I guess - which was usually me.

My younger son:  "car" (clear as day, because he was about a year and half and, I guess, held off until he could pronounce clearly). He said it to me when he and I were looking out the l living room window; and a he spotted a car.

My daughter:  "ta" ("thank you").  She was eight months, and I was amazed when she said "thank you"  when I'd fix her hat strings or car-seat straps.  At first I wasn't sure, but after a few times it was clear this was her way of trying to say "thank you".  She said it to me.

She was a funny one, because she said nothing clearly until she was past a year old, but she had definite words for everything; so she talked regularly - but without pronouncing correctly (at all).  With her brother's name (a hard-to-pronounce, three-syllable name) she'd say, "Huh huh huh" for a few months until she mastered the word.  To call him the shortened version of his name (the shortened version has one syllable), she'd just say "huh".  With her, because she made such an effort to regularly talk, I could see the process of her learning speech long before she put the final touch on it by suddenly starting to pronounce everything very clearly.  At nine or ten months she'd say "nipt" for "milk", "damps" for "ants", "namee" for "blankie" (I don't quite know where that one came from.  smile  ).

(They're 35, 30, and 27 now. and have been very eloquent for quite some time.   smile  )

5. rLcasaLme profile image74
    rLcasaLmeposted 6 years ago

My baby first uttered the word "Boo." But the first valid word she spoke was "Papa!" And boy, how jealous my wife is. LoL
    There's a bit problem though. When she says Papa, she says it non-stop. So it goes like Papapapapapapapa! smile

6. athena2011 profile image55
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Unfortunately and embarrassingly I do not remember...will have to go pull out the baby book as I'm sure I wrote it down there...but that was 16 years ago. Am I forgiven for forgetting after this much time?

7. profile image0
    markbennisposted 6 years ago

What a beautiful question to ask, it was the first question on my E mail notification and the energy in your words stopped me in my tracks right there, just amazing Lady_E…

Well I must first admit just in-case my partner ever reads this because I am terrible for remember dates and exact times etc.  But my beautiful little angel Abbie my first born daughter who is now 4 years old bless here, I remember deeply in my heart that her first words to me was “Ning! Ning!” 

That’s what she would call me all the time at those precious moments back in time and I shall never forget it, a treasure in my heart always….

8. leni sands profile image75
    leni sandsposted 6 years ago

Interestingly, while at a local fair following the town carnival we were in the park and my child was watching all the goings on with glee, the Red Arrows had flown over displaying as only they can display and he laughed and pointed at them making the usual 'gogo gaga' sounds.  Sometime later a helicopter flew over and again he pointed to sky then suddenly out of the blue this four syllable sound developed - 'ek-e-op-tor' - we all stood there in absolutely amazement.  Of course, the next hour or so I tried in vain to get him to say 'mama' but he was having none of it.

The next time he spoke was while I was out shopping in the precinct a few days later, a couple (who I didn't know) were walking towards us and suddenly my precious little boy pointed to the man and shouted, 'Da da' - I was horrified and apologized to the couple but I could hear the guy denying it as they continued on their way. 

Going back to his first word - he's 31 years old now and since leaving school he has worked as an aeronautical engineer!!

9. Jynzly profile image74
    Jynzlyposted 6 years ago

I love this question. My son, eldest of my children, is now 34 but I remember so well his first word. He was 10 months and I was leaving the house when he blurted "plapplap". I laughed because nobody understood such word. But he repeated it many times. When I came home in the evening I brought him a lollipop and when I handed it to him he smiled with excitement and said again "plapplap?" and went on licking it  repeating the word many times.

10. David Pech profile image59
    David Pechposted 6 years ago

I have four children. The three oldest are girls. My son is the baby. He is ten years old now. He is awesome. I love the way he smiles. He has a zest for life that is accentuated by his hearty laughter and his quirky sometimes even absurd sense of humor. Without exception his older sisters all spoke the word "mama"as their first intelligable utterance. Not so with Isaiah. To my delight and his mother's preturbance his first word was "daddy"!

11. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

at ten months; she got up, took her first step, fell on her backside and said, 'ouch'! before that we had; da da da, ma ma ma, ba ba ba etc, but i always wonder if those are just the first most common sounds a baby makes---maybe the reason for mummy/mommy and daddy being---

12. YvetteParker profile image76
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

My son, who is now 23 years old, first word was 'daddy' to his father.

13. radhikasree profile image62
    radhikasreeposted 6 years ago

My child uttered the little word which every mom love to be heard....."amm"! He was trying to call me "amma" (mom) but he abbreviated it as 'amm'.

14. swansong49 profile image60
    swansong49posted 6 years ago

It was a word which was short and sweet - 'no'.   He still says it rather more than he should!

15. Maygrace profile image58
    Maygraceposted 6 years ago

My husband and I would repeatedly say "I love you" to one another in our son's   presence. Not that we don't say it to each other. At about seven months old he said it very clearly and then never said a word again until almost ten months, when he said "Mama". We were so excited. It was so wonderful to hear it! We haven't heard it since then either.