jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much privacy do you give your teenagers?

1. Virtual Treasures profile image63
    Virtual Treasuresposted 6 years ago

How much privacy do you give your teenagers?

Do you stalk their social websites?

2. CrazyGata profile image76
    CrazyGataposted 6 years ago

I don't stalk their social websites because they do not have one.
    In my kingdom privacy is not a right.
    They have the right to be heard.  But only one vote counts, and if ever their vote counts is a privilege.

They will do as i say.  The moment they earn their own roof, I totally respect their decisions, and if they ask for my opinion I'll gladly give it.  The moment they earn their way, they earn their social site.

Some teens would say it would suck to have me as a mother... maybe.  But I have it clear as been there to provide for their well being.  There is an age for everything. In my house, about 18 is the right age for FB.  There is a whole wide of internet and beyond for them, especially when one turns off the computer.

3. LucidWarrior profile image59
    LucidWarriorposted 6 years ago

My kids are 12 and 15 so only my 15 year old is old enough to have a Facebook account. I know there are kids out there who fake their age to get a Facebook account but not my kids. I do keep an eye on my sons Facebook activity and list of friends. I try to give them their space and privacy, but at the same time I let them know I am always watching out for anything unusual.

I think that if your kids know you care and are willing to jump in if they suspect anything then your kids will be more cautious in their activities. The kids who get themselves into trouble usually have parents who are not involved in their lives. Kids may not say it but they do want boundaries. They want to know there is a safety net should they get in over their heads.

4. roxanne459 profile image87
    roxanne459posted 6 years ago

My kids ages range from 9 to 22 years old and I believe privacy is a privilege, not a right. That being said, nothing on the internet is 'private'. I feel like it's the parents responsibility to monitor what they are putting on the World Wide Web. It will follow them forever and they don't have the ability to fully appreciate how serious that can be for them and their future. If parents don't want to take the time neccessary to be involved in their kids FB or whatever then, they shouldn't have an account. If you do take the time, it can be a lesson in learning to set online boundaries for themselves and use the Social Networks as a tool because like it or not.. it's here to stay.