jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you help your daughter learn how to handle "mean girls?"

1. LoriSoard profile image75
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

How do you help your daughter learn how to handle "mean girls?"

It seems like we've had more than our fair share of this situation since moving to the area we live in now. I think it might be in the water. I've always told my daughters to ignore it, rise above it, find true friends, walk away from the mean ones, etc. Just curious what everyone else tells their daughters.

2. tobusiness profile image87
    tobusinessposted 6 years ago

In my case I fought back, and that was the end of the matter, but violence is not always the answer. I think if you can instill a strong sense of the child's own worth, they will always know they are not the one with the problem.

3. Anne Pettit profile image72
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

It is very important that our daughters know that we think they are beautiful and brainy and strong (and they all are, aren't they?) and that our words are frequent.  It is also a good idea to limit social networking because too much time is spent on the negative and cruel stuff.

4. stacyjwx profile image61
    stacyjwxposted 6 years ago

I teach my daughter about the qualities a "mean girl" has and how I would never like for her to be treated that way or for her to treat anyone else that way. She's still young but I praise and reward the good in her. The important thing is to nurture all the wonderful things about your daughter so that she knows how much better she is. When faced with a mean girl she'll be better able to confront her, without putting herself in a weaker position or getting into a fight, when she can tell the other girl that she's simply being mean for no reason. She could tell them she has no reason to be mean to others because she's strong inside and isn't threatened by mean girls who clearly need to work on their self esteem.