How do you raise self-reliant children?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Robie Benve profile image97
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

How do you raise self-reliant children?

2. sassydee profile image69
    sassydeeposted 12 years ago

i would say by letting them make lil decisions on there own and when you ask them to do something let them do it even if they don't do correctly/

3. OakvilleBusiness profile image58
    OakvilleBusinessposted 12 years ago

This is a great question when asked while the kids are young.  Even from the age of 3 on, kids start taking behavioural clues from their environment, parents, baby sitters, classmates and teacher, television and the internet.  Preaching to kids does not work, punishing kids often, nagging or scolding them does not really work either. It is important they understand the "line" and consequences, but if it is made clear where the line is, then if they don't cross it, the little things should not be blown up into big things else it leads to rebelliion.

Patience, guidance, setting a good example (not cursing on the phone in front of them or acting like a complete idiot and then wondering where they got the behavior from). There are many good books on the subject, thanks for asking, but you reap what you sew when it comes to kids...

4. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 12 years ago

I'd suggest the following tactics!  This is what I did.  It may not be for everyone.  I did raise two very self sufficient boys though.

When they are little, let them play on their own, doing what they like inside a play pen in the beginning or in their room when they get one.
    Let them get dirty and noisy, anything, as long as they are not being watched over by you (apparently!).

While you do the chores, they do theirs too (even if it is just banging on pan lids on the floor).  Never stop doing what you have to do because of your child.  Just explain how you/we have to do this and that and keep on going.  They get used to it.  It is better than being concerned with what they want, because they don't know what they want (after they are washed, fed and loved).

I'd suggest giving them time to run free in the country, if possible.  This is where they use their imaginations and play adventurous games together with their brother or sister or friend and learn how to be on their own without parents.  They feel great.
    (Adventure summer camps if you can afford them if you don't have the countryside.  Or visits with family and friends in the country if you have them.)

People do a lot of explaining this and that all the time.  Yes, I agree, it is important to explain what they need to know, but it is more important to get on with your life (because you are SO busy)  and make them understand that there's stuff to be done...(because they are not the center of the universe, they are a part of it).

Being creative.  A child is happy making things.  When the child is pleased with him/herself, he/she earns herself/himself confidence.

Children need daily chores such as helping with the bed, folding the pyjamas, putting the toothbrushes in the mug, sweeping the floor, washing the dishes.  They need to be a part of their family and all that the family has to do to keep things running smoothly.

They need a little pocket money when they grow up, and a savings piggy so they can look forward to getting their treats and 'dreams' through their own organizational skills. (and having to do without when they mis-did it all).

I'd say not too much TV or computer games...regulate it...instead, they do creative things, or play with neighbors, or help you.

5. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 12 years ago

I agree with others here who said to allow children to make some of their own decisions--under parent supervision of course.
    Also it is so important to teach children to do things--cooking, cleaning,laundry, responsibly managing money, etc. AND to teach them the "whys" of things.  Whenever I explain how to do something, I always explain why I am doing what I do.  I think this helps raise children who can do things for themselves and understand what they are doing.  They are not simply robots following directions--they can think for themselves and make good decisions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)