jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what age would you trust your child to pack his/her own lunchbox?

1. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

At what age would you trust your child to pack his/her own lunchbox?

Would you trust your child to pack a healthy lunch?  Or, do you think this should always be handled by the parent?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Our nine year old daughter can pack her own lunch.  She doesn't do it everyday, but she can make a sandwich, grab a fruit, snack, and water.

It's up to the parent to make sure the food in the house is healthy.  That eliminates the problem of filling their lunch with junk, although I'm not opposed to having a small treat in a packed lunch.

Our six year old doesn't seem to be interested in packing her lunch, but if it was pre-assembled, I'm pretty sure she is old enough to learn to put it in her lunch box.

3. Sunshyne1975 profile image84
    Sunshyne1975posted 6 years ago

My ten year old girl can pack her lunch better than my two 11 year old boys, but I still let them all try and then just double check them before they leave the house. I used to put a little note and a sticker daily in each lunchbox but they have grown out of that stage; makes me kind of sad. Great question. I think it depends on the maturity of the child and how much responsibility that child has been given in the past.

4. Mary Stuart profile image79
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

Put out the basics and set the guidelines. One piece of fruit, one source of protein etc and let him go for it by first grade. He will need some supervision for a time but will soon catch on. Kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for being. Go for it!

5. alphagirl profile image80
    alphagirlposted 6 years ago

Much depends on the maturity of a child. I have a 11 year old. She packs her own and does a goof job. A sandwich of choice, a piece of fruit, a drink( no soda), and a treat. My kids know what is healthy.

Closed to reply