jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How are you raising your child differently from how you were raised?

1. Ciel Clark profile image75
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

How are you raising your child differently from how you were raised?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

My parents were extremely relaxed, almost to the point of neglect.  I believe this is because my mother lived under an iron fist when she grew up.  I am trying to swing this pendulum back to the middle and be a parent who has rules and limitations, but overly strict.  My kids have schedules, certain things they are expected to do and they are not allowed to just run wild, however I also know when to relax a bit and just let them maybe have that extra cookie once in awhile too. 

It's always a learning and growing process, but I think having witnessed the extremes of parenting styles, I knew I wanted better for my children.

3. gabrielthomas72 profile image78
    gabrielthomas72posted 6 years ago

I truly believe that nobody can educate you on how to raise your own children. Everybody is different and so are their children. Even though my father didnt leave the family home until I was 12, he did nothing to help in 'bringing me up', so as a father I have nothing to compare to. I myself have divorced from my boys mother, but personally I try to give my boys every experience that I can. Without giving them the impression that life is easy. They are both happy and don't want for anything. I always try to ensure that when they are with me we always do something that puts a smile on our faces, what ever it is.

4. Catzgendron profile image75
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I wish life was simpilar like it was back then. read more

5. savanahl profile image71
    savanahlposted 6 years ago

Both of my parents were emotionally absent. They were there but preoccupied with their own lives. I tried to stay present with my kids, focusing more on them. I also show them a lot of love and affection.

6. Joyette  Fabien profile image89
    Joyette Fabienposted 6 years ago

I had a very sheltered upbringing and I believe that this accounted, to a large extent, for the fact that I was extremely shy, reserved and lacking in confidence for the greater part of my life. I have two daughters and while I have tried to impose limits for them, I have made great effort to allow them to spread their wings and to benefit from worthwhile and appropriate exposure.

7. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

I was raised by loving, involved parents who did things with us and made us mind. They made us do chores and our schoolwork. They also encouraged us to be the best we could be. They did not take us to church but they believed.
    They did so good that the only thing I changed was that I took my children to church. I would love to have been brought up in church. I do not think that I would have had the doubts that I did. It was very hard getting to the point where I accepted Christ. I am much happier and more grounded in my life now.

8. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

less spanking, more decision making and reponsibility tasks.
    well balanced carrots and sticks
    well, that's how it will be when my baby is older.