jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that not allowing very young children to watch TV helps or harms th

1. DanaTeresa profile image83
    DanaTeresaposted 6 years ago

Do you think that not allowing very young children to watch TV helps or harms their development?

2. Sue B. profile image96
    Sue B.posted 6 years ago

Study after study shoes that watching TV- even educational shows- for more than an hour per day has a negative impact on a child's development.  This surprises me. I watch more than that myself and I do allow my child to watch TV. I like to pick more educational shows for him but I do try to give him a break from it knowing that the research is probably true even though it doesn't make sense to me.  Apparently we need to have other senses participating in our learning such as hearing and touch.

3. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on what they are watching. I allowed my son (who is now 29) to watch educational shows when he was a toddler. I used them as a learning tool, not a baby sitter.
    At the age of 6, he actually had a discussion with a professor on the movie ratings system, and it blew the guys mind away.
    I don't care what the studies show. It's how you use the TV to benefit the child's mind. We would play games from the show, or use the show in various ways after it was over. He developed one hell of an imagination from all the games we played. TV, when used properly can help a child learn manners, colors, shapes, and sizes.

4. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Children grew, learned and prospered for thousands of years before TV.

Having said that, yes, a select few programs , can offer some guidance and
    learning situations.