jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How Can You Discipline a Child Who Has Gotten Into The Habit of Hitting You on O

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 5 years ago

How Can You Discipline a Child Who Has Gotten Into The Habit of Hitting You on Occasion as a Parent?

Without resorting to physical punishments, can a parent reform such a child (5 year old) through persuasion or non-physical disciplining methods? How can you channelize the frustration or rage felt by a child into something constructive?

2. Catzgendron profile image72
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

First, what is causing the child's rage?  Is there an underlying factor? That should be checked out.  Then second, you could consider getting the child a punching bag of some sort and explain that you know they are frustrated and angry but hitting a person isn't acceptable behavior and offer them the option of hitting the punching bag.  This situation needs to be addressed before the child begins to hit other people, adults or children.  Good Luck.

3. dingyskipper profile image65
    dingyskipperposted 5 years ago

Do not hit back , try the "naughty step" technique it will at least keep you apart for a few minutes , but it may be a struggle to start with, watch some supernanny

4. caranoelle profile image84
    caranoelleposted 5 years ago

Hitting a child will only reinforce that hitting is okay, which is not what you want.  I feel your pain, I have a 5-year old that likes to hit as well.  Reasoning and redirection work great for me.  I ask why he is upset and why he feels the need to hit.  Then I ask if he would want me to hit if roles were reversed.  Sometimes the reason he gets frustrated can be used to redirect the anger because once you understand why he is hitting you can help him find another way to express his feelings or accomplish what he wants.