jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should parents give their children whatever they want if they could afford to?

1. Joan King profile image72
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

Should parents give their children whatever they want if they could afford to?

2. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

No! You will spoil them.  Consider if you should reach a stage whereby you can't afford to buy them whatever they want, do you think they will understand that you can't afford it when all their lives you always give to them what they ask for.  It is nice to give to your kids what they ask, but a line should be drawn, to teach them to be satisfied and content and not all they require they will get. That will help to mould them when they become an adult.

3. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

No parent can afford to spoil a child and deny that child a work ethic.  No parent can afford to give into every whim of another being and deny him or her the satisfaction of setting goals and reaching them.  Just because someone has the financial provision to purchase any imaginable desire does not equate being able to "afford" it... So yes.  Just make sure you truly can afford all ensuing consequences.

4. Catzgendron profile image72
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

I don't feel that would be beneficial to the child.  They wouldn't have an appreciation for what they had because they would get to the point where it was expected and end up being spoiled.

5. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Definitely not! Too many of our youth have a false sense of entitlement. The youth have just been given whatever they ask for and expect it. I would rather spoil my children with my love and attention than with buying them things.

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

No, spoiling children will make them feel that they can step on their parents head anytime and anyway they like. Make a pact with kids. For example, if he does well in exam, give him a present that he wanted. Hence, he had to work hard for it.