jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

At what age do you think it is appropriate to start talking to teens/kids about

1. dmcgaw profile image60
    dmcgawposted 5 years ago

At what age do you think it is appropriate to start talking to teens/kids about drugs and alcohol?

Do you wait until they are teenagers or do you start earlier?

2. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Better sooner than later, we introuduce the Health Lessons about these issues from year 5 and children are already well informed about these issues from their older peers and family members.

3. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

Honestly, I don't think it matters. I never drink because I lived in a terrible neighborhood and saw the effects of drinking and drug abuse, teens being arrested and people driving drunk or passing out or getting high and freaking out.
    Nothing graphic like death, but it was enough to keep me from doing it.
    If you want your kid to avoid drugs, stand him infront of a seedy bar when they start kicking people out. Forget that it's illegal, it's the effects it has on you, and the bad descisions you can make that will affect you forever that keep people away.

4. securityproducts3 profile image42
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

I know all the kids in my school including me started drinking Freshman year of Highschool. So probably around 8th grade I would say.

5. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

In my opinion starting earlier is best - but not talking at them, just sharing information and having conversations about values, risk factors and what/why people do in certain social situations.  The best role model for your child is how your family behaves around alcohol.

6. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

As SOON as they're able to understand!  If that's toddlerhood, so be it!
    I knew smoking was bad for you at age 7.  My father became firmly hooked before the Surgeon General's warning.  When my brother and I were kids, we used to try to get him to quit by hiding his cigarettes in the trash, but of course, all he had to do was buy another pack.
    Regarding drugs, again when I was a kid, there was a public service announcement on TV (back in the 60s) where a bunch of teenagers were discussing drugs, and it would end with someone saying, "Why do you think they call it 'dope'?"  "Dope" was the term used for drugs in those days.  It also meant "a stupid person".  So I got the message that way, too.
    The earlier kids are taught about such matters, the more likely they'll have positive attitudes ingrained in them.  They see it anyway, so why wait until they're 12 years old and suddenly start talking about it?  Some kids experiment at younger ages than that, so it's best to educate them as early as possible.