jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What are some creative ideas to get the whole family motivated to do chores?

1. FreezeFrame34 profile image75
    FreezeFrame34posted 6 years ago

What are some creative ideas to get the whole family motivated to do chores?

I've tried to create charts; I've used positive reinforcement as well as tangible rewards; I've tried to create routines and am still the one doing everything. Any one have any interesting or creative ideas to get the whole family involved in cleaning/chores so I'm not always the one doing all of the work?

2. Misty Manes profile image58
    Misty Manesposted 6 years ago

For our kids we have a "chore store". It works like this:
    I have made up a chart detailing almost anything around the house that could be done. Each chore has a monetary value affixed to it. The kids may be asked to do a chore, but they are not "assigned" any chores, meaning they can do as much or as little as they like. They make money (Real looking fake money bought specifically for our store) based on the chores they decide to do each day. They can then use this money at any time (with parental supervision) to purchase something out of the chore store. We fill our store with toys, candy, and stickers etc. that are relevant to our children’s interests. Typically they have to save up a bit for a special prize, but it motivates them to do chores to save up for it. Using this method they do not do chores every day, but some days they will collectively do every chore on the list. And sometimes I will ask them to do me a specific favor and pay a special amount as a onetime deal.
    This method is cheaper than a regular allowance (and makes more sense per my children's ages), makes the chore doing an option and teaches them the value of money. If I notice they aren’t currently motivated by what the chore store contains I will change prices, and add more “merchandise” which typically spurs a cleaning frenzy all over again. smile

1. FreezeFrame34 profile image75
      FreezeFrame34posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! Great ideas!

2. J.S.Matthew profile image82
      J.S.Matthewposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Misty Manes! You are a genius! That is an awesome idea. You should consider writing a Hub about it that answers this question! It would be great to see photos of the items in your "Chore Store" (and the fake money!). I think this could be useful

3. danajconnelly profile image71
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

working