jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are some creative ideas for recycled items to use as containers for indoor

1. DonnaCosmato profile image96
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

What are some creative ideas for recycled items to use as containers for indoor gardens?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

We used baby wipe boxes and baby food jars as seed starter pots. We clip the lids off the wipes boxes before using. With a little spray paint or some fabric and hot clue the wipe boxes can easily become pots for decoration and make perfect herb pots for sitting in a  window.

3. avid gardener profile image59
    avid gardenerposted 6 years ago

you can use toilet tissue rolls as well as paper towel rolls for seed starters inside.

4. carol2050 profile image56
    carol2050posted 6 years ago

Lots of used items can be recycled into plant containers. First thing that comes to mind is the empty bleach bottle. If you safely cut off the top and then slice 3 holes or slits in the bottom it will work nicely to hold a beautiful pot of plants. You can place the top of an empty blue bonnet tub under the bleach pot. You can set this into a larger prepared bleach bottle without holes cut in the bottom to prevent water spills. The outside container can be decorated with fall leaves that you may have dried in a book, children's art, laminated photos, whatever you like.

I have about twenty lemon tree sprouts that I am planning to transplant into empty plastic dry Sun detergent tubs. I will put gravel in the bottom about 1and a half inches high then fill the rest with potting soil so the lemon trees will have plenty of room for root growth. I have grown lemon trees in the house before and they are great but prickly, so don't place them close to where anyone will encounter them physically. They will bear lemons too. I had a pineapple one year and got a small and tasty pineapple in late summer. I put the pineapple on the patio all summer. They take a lot of water.

There are many other used household items you can recycle into plant containers. Imagination is a great tool.

5. MatthewLeo1701 profile image69
    MatthewLeo1701posted 6 years ago

Coffee cans, pickle buckets, peanut butter jars, sterilte containers, to name a few.

6. aviannovice profile image89
    aviannoviceposted 6 years ago

Two 2-liter soda bottles with the tops cut off.  Put them together after you have put in your potting soil and a little moist sand and some seeds.  It is like a mini-greenhouse.  It works rather well, just like a large greenhouse.

7. randomcreative profile image91
    randomcreativeposted 5 years ago

This article is about re-purposed garden planters.  It includes a wide variety of ideas for both indoor and outdoor gardens.  There are ideas for both items to use as is and items to craft into planters. read more

8. Monique K-G profile image85
    Monique K-Gposted 3 days ago

You can paint cans (and poke holes in them), to act as a lantern for teas lights, or use wine bottles as vases (which can be decorated in the style of your garden). smile

working