jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think you should do everything to help your children in their life ?

1. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image81
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years ago

Do you think you should do everything to help your children in their life ?

2. profile image70
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hello Pavlo-

I suppose there is a fine line between being helpful and being overprotective.  No parent ever wants to see their child struggle or be in pain.  At the same time jumping in too soon can rob the child of learning how to handle their problems on their own.  These learning experiences will be critical to their development (regardless of age)  as you will not always be there to solve the problems.

-DW

3. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

When the children are young, of course you help as much as possible.  However, there is a point in which you want your children to do for themselves.  As adults, my children receive my help when they ask for it.  I will go beyond to help with any of their needs, but it is a personal achievement when one can say, "I did it!"  So part of parenting is knowing when to sit back and watch them learn and grow and then you can beam with pride as they steer their own lives!

4. fre2bme profile image53
    fre2bmeposted 5 years ago

Yes. But sometimes that means stepping back and letting them live and learn own their own. Let them make their own mistakes, but always be there for them to come back to.

5. tiffany delite profile image75
    tiffany deliteposted 5 years ago

I think you should everything to teach your kids how to handle the responsibility of taking care of themselves in life. One of my children's earliest chores was to throw their own diapers away. That's right. As soon as they were old enough to hold their diaper, I would place it in their hands after changing them and carry them over to the garbage to toss it in. Then, we would go wash our hands. This was their first lessons on washing hands after using the bathroom.

Their responsibilities grew from there. By the time they were in middle school, they were setting their alarms to get up in the mornings, putting themselves to bed when they were tired (rather than a set bedtime..although, quiet time comes at 9pm every night, and they must be in their rooms), laundry, cleaning, yardwork - you name it, they can do it!

I think that giving them personal responsibility is the BEST way to do everything for them!

working