jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you raise a child's self-esteem? Any useful tips?

1. cloudy_cool profile image73
    cloudy_coolposted 5 years ago

How do you raise a child's self-esteem? Any useful tips?

In my case this is for a four year old girl who is going to join a private school this year. Please feel free to direct me to hubs of interest. Thanks!

2. Felicia Carrillo profile image60
    Felicia Carrilloposted 5 years ago

I acually went to school in early childhood, so I can give you advice from what I have learned. Encourage your child to be herself, evertime she does something amazing praise her. Even if it is just a drawing or a new task she learned praise her. Children at this age are what's know as egocentic. Think of it like this children feel the world revolves around them. So encourage her when she does something worth praise. Her self-esteem and confidence will boost!

3. Hui (蕙) profile image81
    Hui (蕙)posted 5 years ago

Show your own self-esteem as a parent in a proper way in every respect of daily life. Your kids learn every thing from you in a way without words.

4. MattMack profile image66
    MattMackposted 5 years ago

I don't have children but I was sent an e-mail relating to this topic...The full story can be seen here - http://www.mrsciguy.com/teachstories.html#friend

I know I was part of many activities when I was a kid (scouts, camp, school band, etc.) and it was learning new things and trying many different activities that kept me motivated and engaged.  I have a lot of self esteem because of things that I accomplished when I was a child (completed a 50 mille scout hike when I was only 11).  I suggest giving praise when deserved, explaining what should have been done if they are wrong, and keeping them interested in extra activities.