jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you teach your children to Respect everyone or just people they know?

1. milleramanda53 profile image77
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Do you teach your children to Respect everyone or just people they know?

2. shampa sadhya profile image83
    shampa sadhyaposted 5 years ago

I always teach my child and the youngsters to respect everyone. Even the maid at my house, the rickshaw puller on the road or a vendor and so on should be shown respect while interacting with them. It is not about elders or known people but unknown people as well as the juniors must be respected then only in return one can expect respect.

3. MariaTeresaM profile image70
    MariaTeresaMposted 5 years ago

I teach my children to respect everyone because I believe that it is the basic premise of getting respect.  We invite disrespect to ourselves if we treat others in a lower "standard" than we give to ourselves.  Our children will be better off treating all people with equal respect.

4. momster profile image59
    momsterposted 5 years ago

Everyone. No questions asked. Even rude people. They learn to respect people now, they will have a better understanding of how to treat people when they get older. Respect is one of the biggest values of life. It also develops their personality. They will be more respected by others if they show respect to others.
    You never know when, where, and why some people may be disrespectful, but it is not a reason to be disrespectful back. Respect is earned, and it shows if someone is a respectable person or not. It is a quality of life, whether it is being a friend, family member, co-worker or boss. That is a quality that will carry a person through life.

5. Anne Pettit profile image71
    Anne Pettitposted 5 years ago

I teach my children to treat everyone with respect and courtesy (good manners).  They will decide who to respect independently.

6. Dr Pooja profile image60
    Dr Poojaposted 5 years ago

I teach my children to respect one and all including people less priveledged than us.If taught at an earlier age it gets a part and parcel of their lives.They must know to get respect they should do the same to others.I believe we should teach our kids that Don't Demand Respect but Deserve Respect.

7. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I have to start by saying I've learned some people have entirely different definitions of the word/term;  but from my/our definition- treating people in a respectful manner- what I taught my kids was "this is the way to treat everyone- unless they clearly do not deserve it."  As an example of what I mean:  I had a couple of relatives who always acted in a very negative way toward my kids and me, and so they did not deserve respect.

8. sarahmoose profile image77
    sarahmooseposted 5 years ago

I have taught my daughter to respect everyone, and this is a value they uphold in her school. I think it is important for children to show respect to people all around them from an early age, so they learn the value of treating others well as they grow up. If they don't, they will turn into rude and uncaring individuals, which makes the world a much worse place.

9. Thundermama profile image91
    Thundermamaposted 5 years ago

I try to teach my children to treat others the way that they want to be treated, we call it "the golden rule." This translates into respect for all. Not an easy job in today's society.

10. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

Everyone--known or unknown, poor or rich. We must set example before the children by doing the same.

11. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 5 years ago

As a human being we want respect others.  Hence teaching children to respect everyone must be a great thing and I do it.