jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is your biggest challenge as a Step Parent? (besides dealing with the ex)

1. KristenN4Boys profile image68
    KristenN4Boysposted 5 years ago

What is your biggest challenge as a Step Parent? (besides dealing with the ex)

2. latushaedwards profile image62
    latushaedwardsposted 5 years ago

I think the biggest challenge is bonding with a child who already has a mother and father and finding a place in their lives. I think it's even harder when you dont have any biological children yourself.

3. roxanne459 profile image87
    roxanne459posted 5 years ago

It definitely has to be, remembering my boundaries. I have a beautiful step-daughter but I will never be her mother and her parents will never parent her the way I would. That's just reality. The frustration can consume me and destroy my relationships or, I can remember my role when it comes to her. It isn't easy but it's necessary!

4. sroberts9 profile image82
    sroberts9posted 5 years ago

Well its not the ex you need to concern yourself with as he/she is out of the picture now... the children are who you have to deal with.  It's nearly impossible to blend two families into one.  But, identiying who you are and your roll to them is what is important.  I told my step son that I am the other parent he could go to when Mama and Daddy are not there for him - I'll be there to listen and help in anyway I can to help the situation or just to be an ear to listen to his side or problem.  Hopefully I can add another point of view.

working