jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why are teens expected to behave like adults?

1. WiseRabbit profile image82
    WiseRabbitposted 5 years ago

Why are teens expected to behave like adults?

Science has shown that the development of certain parts of the brain necessary for making good decisions, being rational, understanding long-term consequences and reasoning, are not fully developed until at least age 21 and sometimes later. One of the hallmarks of teen behavior is irrationality, yet many people mistakenly expect adult-like rational decisions and consistent behavior from teens. Many teens are left to themselves during these very confusing years of their lives, and many misunderstandings and tragedies are the result. When will we learn?

2. emimemo profile image78
    emimemoposted 5 years ago

We hope teens to behave like adult because they are developed like adult physically. It is all depend on the person. Some teenager could make more conservative decision than some adult. I think teenager need to have own opinion and not to told by his or her friend what to do. You can't over watch them or not care about them. It is always balance. To make the place they can always rely on (count on) when they need is very important. Family is their backbone.

3. KristenN4Boys profile image67
    KristenN4Boysposted 5 years ago

I do not expect my teenage sons to behave like adults. I do, however, have certain expectations that I believe they need to meet that inevitably instill responsibility, accountability, as well as deem possible consequences if they are not done. (straightening up rooms, laundry, mowing, etc.)

As far as making their own decisions on things, I don't expect my boys to always make the smartest and best decisions. Have I given them the tools to guide them in that direction? Yes. Do my boys know the difference between right and wrong? Yes. I can lecture and try to hand-hold my way through parenting, but what does that really do, but give them more reason to never want to open up to me about anything. I have an open door policy with my kids. Anything goes. If they are in a situation where they feel trapped or scared, they are to call me and I'm there, no questions asked. I now have an 18 year old son who, I'm proud to say, survived his teen years with little to no battle scars.
    They are kids. I expect they'll make mistakes. But no matter what, I will love and support them. I may not always agree with their decisions, but I will continue to guide them and give them the foundation they need to be successful in life. And one day, hopefully, they'll be amazing men and I can say, "Not only did they survive... but SO DID I!"

4. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

Teens are at a point where they have more responsibility to bare, including driving, college, and jobs.

5. AngusNz profile image61
    AngusNzposted 5 years ago

Teens are only expected to act like adults by adults who have no patience and cannot cope with the stress that it causes in their selfish existence.