jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Any advices for my children's first play date?

1. algarveview profile image90
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

Any advices for my children's first play date?

My kids are 4 year old twins and I've invited two of their friends, it's at my house...

2. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Prepare them for what will happen: the other children will want to play with their toys. Tell them it's ok, they're not taking them - teach, again, about sharing.  It's different when "outsiders" come into your home! wink

Review any household rules that you think may affect the ability of the children to get along with your guests as well as avoid any "acting out".  Review feelings they may experience - good and bad.  Prepare them how to handle a lot of excitement and/or the not-so-happy feelings in a manner that is acceptable and healthy.

I find when I prepare my younger children before playdates, the time is filled with more fun.

Prior to your friends' arrival, decide which clean-up method you desire: everyone helps before leaving or if it's easier for you to clean up by yourself.  If you want everyone to pitch in, you may opt to quickly and cheerfully remind all of the children to clean up what they have out before getting another toy or game. smile

Do you want to provide the snacks for everyone (bc you can count on four year olds getting hungry!) or do you want your friend to bring their own food? Communicate your thoughts with your friends.   I usually provide healthy snacks for adults and children, as well as paper plates and napkins -- to make clean up easier.  Occassionally, my pantry has been low and I've asked friends to bring something to add to the "spread".

Have fun!

1. Denise Handlon profile image90
      Denise Handlonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sound, practical and obviously 'put to the test' advice here.  Two thumbs up!  smile

2. algarveview profile image90
      algarveviewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Loved the idea of preparing them... very important, especially with my son, since he is a bit territorial with his toys... really loved your ideas... I'm a bit lost, because I'll be alone with 4 kids, since the other moms won't be staying... scary!

3. kat_thurston profile image60
    kat_thurstonposted 5 years ago

Have some fun age apporatie activites planned and make sure that things they can get hurt on are put away. Also if you have animals make sure with the parents if it's ok for the animals to be around them and if you are serving any type of snacks or drinks I would consider checking with the parents to make sure for potential allgery's.

Hi, Kat, already checked on allergies - nothing to report - I'm particularly worried with the stairs, I think one of the kids lives in a flat and I'm not sure is he is used to stairs... Wonder if I should keep the 1st floor off limits...

2. kat_thurston profile image60
      kat_thurstonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would if you happend to have any baby gates around maybe put them up.

4. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

What a great question to pose from an obvious caring parent

Importance of sharing
    Rooms OK to 'wander' into-which are off limits
    Move scared pets out of the area
    Lunch or snack-allergies, fave foods
    Time:  how long...and how long is too long

Keep a close eye on the group; don't get sidetracked with social visit w/ other parent; at least for the first one, to intervene quickly if you see things going awry

Break up a long play period with snacks or hands on actvity: craft  or art project 

Go outside, weather permitting, to break it up    or take a walk through your neighborhood

Put some music on and have a 'band' activity: marching, drumming, clapping etc to break it up    or   DANCE

Dress up clothes to play in

Down time to slow things or bring some quiet if too loud and overwhelming:  a movie w/ snack or a Story and something to sip on...(that's the KIDS, mom...not the drink for the adults, LOL  You can have that later, after they leave, haha)

Anyway-the point is, keep it upbeat, friendly and FUN and always keep a close eye on the activity so you know how they are getting along and if there are any conflicts.   

Hadn't thought about rooms off limits, but that's really important... Anyway very good advices, Denise, thanks a lot! And the idea of the dress up is great, I think they will love it... And I do think I'll need that drink afterwards...

5. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

There has been tons of great advice, so I'm not going to repeat the same info. But, one thing you may want is an ending time. Kids get tired from playing hard and they'll start to get grumpy and the tears will come easy and over nothing. If it's getting to this point, try to end the play date on a good note. They will have a blast and they'll be exhausted afterwards (and so will you).  smile