What would you do if an unknown child invaded your personal space and hit you?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

What would you do if an unknown child invaded your personal space and hit you?

While standing in a DMV line a child that appeared to be about 6 or 7 repeatedly went through the line and hit random strangers. Some people enjoyed a closed fist instead of an open hand. One elderly man was hit hard in his private area while the mom could not care less where her child was or what he was doing to strangers minding their business.

I was fuming but avoided a confrontation because time and again when garbage like this happens the parents get mad when you try to tell them, let alone reprimand their child. It made the wait absolutely miserable for about 8 adults though.

2. abbykorinnelee profile image53
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

It did happen to me.  When my son was 10 and I had him for six months during his dad's iraq deployment, he had pent up abandonment and anger issues.  I restrained him and called 911 requesting a single mother policeman of sons.  I got one.  She came and talked to him about domestic violence.  He has never hit me again.

Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very smart lady! You took charge and addressed the issue. The child was called by the mother a couple of times but he ignored her and went back to pestering and hitting people in line.

2. abbykorinnelee profile image53
      abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was an extreme issue, but if it were like what you were going through, I get eye level, stare directly at them and force eye contact while restraining them by their wrists, I give a warning and if they do it again I leave and deal with them

3. Express10 profile image85

I don't have children but I really wanted to knock him one after a couple of hits. I figured the mom would have me arrested if I talked to her or him, rather than address the actions of her assaulting child. That's the tendency these days.

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Crack the little brat and tell the mum to keep her brat under control.  I used to teach and was very adept at being able to turn around, 'inocently' and 'accidently'  catch wrong doers with my elbow.  After a few times they soon learned to behave.

Oh how I WANTED to! But then, I'd be arrested for child abuse even though the child was the one who went through the line several times HITTING people. He hit an elderly man right in the penis! The other men groaned knowing it hurt him.

2. MickS profile image61
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I said, I learned to do it 'accidently', the kids soon learn when to stop. You can accidently step on a toe.

3. abbykorinnelee profile image53
      abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thats when you go up to the mother and address it and if yu don't feel comfortable the DMV has security guards don't they?  If not?  Call the local police station after trying to handle it yourself...violence isn't ok and scare the shit outta the kid

4. Express10 profile image85

Everyone said the mom would overreact whether we spoke or hit back. She ignored us & him. The security person was not paying attention, too busy collecting clipboards. He'd probably already been hit in the penis before we arrived & knew to st

5. MickS profile image61
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry abbykorinnelee, children have been given too much control and know they can get away with anyhting, it is about time adults took back control. A painful reminder is quick and easy.

6. Express10 profile image85

I believe that an eye for an eye could have been of use. If I ran up to another person and hit them, I should EXPECT that I'd get hit back at the very least or get arrested, not get away without consequence. Public places aren't babysitting centers.

4. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

It may not be okay to hurt a child (it really isn't) but it IS okay to restrain a child that is hurting others and march them over to the security guard.  I would have done that without hesitation.  I was a classroom teacher and I know this is not against the law - to grab and child, restrain them and take them to an authority for violence against others.  If the mother had a problem, she could say anything she wanted and deal with the security guard while I wordlessly would walk right back to my place in line.  If the security guard and lady wanted to continue the conversation, they would be outnumbered by my counterparts and me in line.  So, no, I have NO issue correcting a wrong child when the mother won't.  You never know what the real story is.  The child's father could have died, or someone may have abused the child and the child is freaking out and out of control over it.  So, it's best to be firm, fair and respectful the whole time - from start to finish - but still not allowing the bad behavior to happen.  If it was a violent adult, would people have stood idly by and allowed it.  I think not.  At least, I hope not!

I'd NEVER had this issue before. He truly was a little monster, no doubt being raised by an adult one in my opinion. Unfortunately, I know 2 cases where adults stood idly by and allowed illegal behavior from one (perfect stranger) adult to another.

5. algarveview profile image75
    algarveviewposted 11 years ago

Well, I go nuts over that sort of thing and I actually can't keep quiet... My husband tells me I'm dangerous and one day he will probably have to get into a fist fight with someone over stunts like that I pull, but disrespect and lack of manners really drive me mad... Usually, I tell the child she is misbehaving and shouldn't do that, I do it very gently, like "Sweetheart you shouldn't do that... bla, bla, bla"... But I have been known to go up to a parent and tell her what a poor job she is doing... I usually avoid passing judgement on how others raise their children, but that sort of thing is the one thing I can't stand... Because it's not just about a type of parenting or the child, it's about not behaving properly in society and it's messing with other peoples' freedom...

Amen! Why are there so many parents' that allow their children to go wild? If this EVER happens to me again, I probably will have to whop the kid and the parent because they don't want to hear anything bad about themselves or their kids.

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Call child services. Obviously someone needs to teach that child a lesson. You might not be able to do it, but that kid and especially their parents need to go to a boot camp. The parents more than the child because they are the fools that created that child through horrible parenting.
    And yes, I grew up around a family who would let their children get away with behavior like that.

Glad you commented! No one has perfect parents but this woman completely ignored the child and the adults that were trying to get her attention. A LOT of bad things could have happened to that kid while he was out of her sight and out of her mind.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Frankly, I don't think she cares what happens to the child. She might think it's one less mouth to feed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)