jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Other than candy, what treat do you recommend giving a small child before they g

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
    TheHoleStoryposted 5 years ago

Other than candy, what treat do you recommend giving a small child before they go to bed?

2. JamiJay profile image90
    JamiJayposted 5 years ago

In my family, we have treats for breakfast (or after breakfast) and we rarely, if ever, eat treats or sweets before bedtime. 
    But if your child (or you) craves (and begs) for something sweet before bed, I would suggest a plain natural Greek yogurt with some fresh fruit or natural peanut butter mixed in (I like banana and peanut butter mixed in with Chobani plain, natural Greek yogurt).

3. tigerbaby777 profile image85
    tigerbaby777posted 5 years ago

I would never give a child candy before bed. Actually, I never gave my son candy at all when he was small.

I would suggest yogurt or a fruit. Even graham crackers and a glass of milk would be better than candy.

This question makes me giggle because when my son was first married he told his new wife he would like something sweet to eat. Being the little sweetheart that she is, she brought home a bag FULL of a variety of candy bars. He looked in the bag and tossed it on the coffee table and said "When I ask for something sweet I mean home made baked goods."

Unfortunately he grew up in a home where cooking any baking was a given so he expects it. He also cooks in his home now.

4. kidscrafts profile image80
    kidscraftsposted 5 years ago

What about a nice story!  It's quality time and it's not bad for your teeth!

5. Patriette profile image74
    Patrietteposted 5 years ago

I might offer a cookie or Graham cracker and milk, which is what we were given as kids. But we also had to brush teeth immediately after eating it. Also, a favorite bedtime story is the best treat.

6. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I recently experienced this problem from the mother of 3 small children. She decided it was best not to give the little ones a chocolate Hershey kiss before bed time, and I totally agree. So I tried fruit roll-ups, which are made with real fruit, plus they are a good source of vitamin C. They also come with a tongue tattoo now on every roll, and the kids love that.

1. profile image69
      Writer Chuckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A treat for the tummy is out, but a nice story either made up or read is a treat that satisfies the want for attention.

2. Goody5 profile image71
      Goody5posted 5 years agoin reply to this

A story usually from Dr. Seuss should always be included along with the bed time treat. Little boxes of raisins are also an idea for the little ones.

7. BSloan profile image75
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

If you are looking for a food "treat", i usually give my daughter a slice of raisin bread with warm milk if she is hungry before bed.

Non food treats are reading a book together or lying down with her in the dark just talking about anything until she feels sleepy.  You can also let your child listen to soft music before they drift off to sleep.