This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Has suicide from bullying become a fad?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Has suicide from bullying become a fad?

When I was a child bullying was normal, yes normal. It was not common (at least here) to hear of teens killing themselves over it. Parents told children to suck it up and move on. Now we make every little thing into bullying and look at the result. More suicides on the news. So is it becoming a fad, are parents getting lazier in explaining to their children that it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with the bullier, or is something else to blame?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Hey peeples,
            I think it has always been this way, but the one's committing suicide probably did not leave a note, say anything to anyone because they were so ashamed and thought the bullying was their fault. Plus, the media has become so large they know about everything going on everywhere. As a child I was bullied because I was heavy. Those were some lonely years. Because you don't say anything because you are ashamed. Kids have always been cruel and still are.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

When we were growing up though, bullying was at school, maybe on the way home.  Today with social media, bullying is relentless and around the clock.  Kids can't find a way to get away from it and it's way over the top.  A lot of the things kids do today, the nastiest bullies in my day wouldn't have done.  Bullying is an epidemic and I think the biggest social challenge we need to convey to all kids is that is not "normal".  I think the way it grew to be out of hand like this is the fact that in the past it was always blown off as a right of passage, just something everyone had to go through.  I lived through it so will you etc.  It was not given the attention it deserved and grew into the monster it's become.  I was bullied to the point of major depression and suicidal thoughts myself over 20 years ago.  I can't imagine what it would be like today with all the added tools of the trade so to speak.

4. strkngfang profile image77
    strkngfangposted 5 years ago

Bullying has gotten way out of hand, but I believe it takes more than just that for suicides.  There is a long way from not wanting to live or "escape" and actually committing the act of killing yourself.  Studies are increasingly showing that young kids and teens that are medicated with depression or anxiety pills are the ones that are doing it.  Those medications interfere with how your brain responds to given signals and most of them even state that a side effect is "increased thoughts of suicide".  A normal functioning brain can't kill oneself.

5. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

I don't know if minors committing suicide is more common now, or if we simply hear about it more.  Suicide used to be considered a shameful and embarrassing affair that families covered up.  Now we just accept it as something that people often do, and if a young person does it, it's all over the news.

6. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 5 years ago

Suicide from bullying is NOT A FAD.  These young people have other underlying mental health issues that come into play most of the time not to mention uncaring parents and family members. Most of these children who commit suicide have been emotionally or physically abused and bullying just makes things worse for them. People don't go around and say "hey Julie committed suicide last week so I'm gonna do it too cuz it's so cool"  Dang!!!! I bet The parents that told their suicidal kids to 'suck it up' aren't so proud of their answers now.

Bullying has become an EPIDEMIC and needs to stop at all costs.

7. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I just wanted to make sure everyone understood my intention behind this. So here are multiple links to teens making suicide pacts. One of these teens was interviewed on my local news and actually said that she was bullied so she thought it was a good reason to join in on the suicide pact.  After hearing this I googled teen suicide pact. And found that it seems to be a new trend. Sad.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/23 … vancouver/

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/22/tee … cide-pact/
    http://www.momeomagazine.com/parents-al … t-suicide/

1. profile image0
      paxwillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yikes, that is sad.

8. profile image52
    Bullycide786posted 4 years ago

I will be but a memory is what I’ve been told
    My locker will be emptied, my clothes will be sold
    No one will miss me, or so they type
    Sure my death will be news, until the next hype
    Stupid, dumb, ugly, fat, slut, lame
    You should die they said, imagine the fame
    Newspapers, Television, Facebook, Twitter
    Problem is, my parents said they didn’t raise no quitter
    Miss me, don’t miss me, suppose that’s your choice
    Will your heart even break, will your eyes become moist?
    Do it…..Don’t do it…Not sure which will win
    Die before it’s time….Heard that’s a big sin
    Stupid, dumb, ugly, fat, slut, lame
    How I wish I could start over
    How I hate this hurtful game...

The spotlight has been thrust upon bullying and suicide once again with the death of 12-year-old Gabrielle Molina, who hung herself because of online bullying per the suicide note she left behind. On May 9th, 14-year-old Braylee Rice of Marian, Indiana, left class and hung herself from her middle school’s bleachers after enduring relentless bullying.  Then there is Kaine Breeden, a 13-year-old boy, who too ended his life because of bullying on May 7th. And those are only a few of the stories about children who have committed suicide this month alone because of bullying. Each year more than 160,000 students are absent from school due to bullying. Harsh words, hard slaps, cyber-bullying, social bullying, slut shaming,..the list of mental, physical and emotional abuse goes on. Some kids opt to fight back physically, while others tell an adult they are being bullied. Some are removed from the troubling school and are either placed in a new school or get home schooled. Then there are those who are bullied to the point of choosing to end their lives in order to stop the pain felt deep down inside. Bullycide is becoming a fast growing epidemic. Not a hip, trendy, cool new thing to do. It’s not a fad, but instead, a tragic solution kids are seeking out as a means to end pain brought about by severe bullying. Bullied victims don’t know or realize that suicide is never the answer to ending their pain. Ever. Suicide is hurtful, ugly, nasty, and a selfish act. Yes, selfish. I’m not guilting, I’m stating the truth.A bullied victim once asked, “How Should I End It And If I Did, Would You Care?”Do we as a society care enough to start dealing with this unpleasant topic or will we continue to ignore Bullycide hoping it will eventually just fade away? 
    You can read the full article www.facebook.com/bullycidetowhomitconcerns 

9. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 4 years ago

I don't think suicide as a result of bullying was ever a fad. I imagine some people can only take so much pain and humiliation before they want to end the pain so badly that death is their choice. The difference now is the 24/7 connections people have and the 24/7 nature of "news." It appears that people have always been cruel to others just to feel better about themselves and unfortunately, this has not changed. If anything it again has only worsened in part to our 24/7 "connection." There are people of all ages and walks of life being bullied online and off. It's a sad reflection on how some people act.

working