jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What are you going to do if your ex- new wife is telling you how to discipline y

1. singlemom68 profile image59
    singlemom68posted 5 years ago

What are you going to do if your ex- new wife is telling you how to discipline your own child?

2. windygreen profile image60
    windygreenposted 5 years ago

When it comes to raising children, I feel that it is too big a responsibility to "do wrong".  I evaluate all advisements honestly - and then decide their merit.   Think about it like this: if your mother or a trusted friend had said the same thing to you, would you feel the same way about the advise? 
    Now, I am by no means saying that the ex's new wife is right (or wrong) , or that it's her place to say anything to you about how you raise your children, or that you should take her advise.. I'm simply saying do not cast aside any advise from any source before honestly considering the option that they may be right.

3. joanwz profile image73
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

My daughter has had this problem. The new wife's input has in fact led to some ugly custody difficulties. Until finally someone in the legal system recently told her to shut up and butt out.

Like windygreen says, you need to evalute the "advice" to see if it is sound advice. However, there may be a point when the new wife may be overstepping her boundaries and her input could lead to custody issues and issues of parental alienation.

If this is the case, make sure the judge, your lawyer, your ex's lawyer and the guardian ad lidem assigned to your child in any custody proceedings are aware of any issues that could be construed as parental alienation (yes, step parents - such as the new wife - can become the main culprit in parental alientation).

When it comes to your children, ultimately it is you and your spouse who are responsible for raising the child and for the child's discipline. The new wife should not be telling you how to raise or how to disciplne your child, especially when the child is on YOUR TIME.

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

Listen to new and ex wife advice and filter them because taking them into action. both sides have their own opinion whether logic or not. You need to find out from websites which are the correct methods. Old wive tales couldn't be trusted.

5. singlemom68 profile image59
    singlemom68posted 5 years ago

You are right peachpurple, but sometimes if you are really in the middle of a situation you can't think clearly and wisely.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

That all depends on the custody situation. My ex and I have 50/50 custody of my son since neither of us would give him up. In interpreted that to mean we should discuss how he is to be raised and agree on things. My present wife has ideas of her own and I have to act judiciously since some of her ideas are valid. Like most situations, it's a complicated matter of walking a fine line without absolutes.

1. joanwz profile image73
      joanwzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're are righ about walking a fine line & no absolutes with two  households and two sets of rules. The biological parents need to work it out between them. with the understanding that new spouses are involved.