jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How should parents respond to children who talk about imaginary companions?

1. Stina Caxe profile image86
    Stina Caxeposted 5 years ago

How should parents respond to children who talk about imaginary companions?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

It's completely normal and there is nothing special that should be done. It has actually been found that children who have an imaginary friend are more articulate later in their childhood. Now if it's a 15 year old that's a different story!

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I just played along. It was a very brief period in each child's life and it wasn't due to lack of outside companionship or any troubles - so we went along and it soon was a thing of the past.

1. teaches12345 profile image95
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it is a temporary stage when pre-school age.  If it extends beyond the kindergarten age (more or less), than you need to consult your pediatrician -- just as a precaution.  There may be other issues you can't see in thier life.

4. BraidedZero profile image90
    BraidedZeroposted 5 years ago

Up to a certain age it's fine. I think everyone goes through that stage. At least a lot of children do. Just be sure to talk to them if they are getting into their teens and they still hold onto the friend.

5. Aakashaashish profile image37
    Aakashaashishposted 5 years ago

I don't think there is too much to be worry about.But if your young one is above 12, you should act with patience just like a friend to him and try to solve this question

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

My 6 yr old child pretended that his teddy bears and trucks are his friends. Talks to them when playing. His kindergarten teacher reminded me that it is not healthy to do so because when he is in class, he talks to himself, laugh and play by himself. Hence, when he talks to his toys, i try to join in to have fun . Sometimes, he push me off.

working