jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do small babies lick each and everything they get?

1. Kevin Peter profile image71
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

Why do small babies lick each and everything they get?

Is it comparable with their character development?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7957806_f260.jpg

2. martvbs profile image60
    martvbsposted 4 years ago

Its a stage in their development called the oral stage (Development psychology). During this stage all the attention of the child is centered around the mouth and its why they want to put everything they get into their mouth. But after sometime, they get over it although some take longer than others.

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

yes, when my son was a baby, he licked the sofa, the floor, etc... i think he is testing his tastebuds, which is sweeter... the sofa or the food?

4. Ric1ster profile image57
    Ric1sterposted 4 years ago

A baby's olfactory system is the first cognitive sensory organ, in humans. Their opening to the world is in their lips and mouths.

5. Savio Dawson profile image86
    Savio Dawsonposted 4 years ago

Oh babies use all their senses to evaluate everything.. Something we as adults let go in the name of manners and better understanding...

So, whether a sofa, bedsheet, shoes or whatever; the things have to evaluated completely... So babies need to see, fell, smell and taste them......If the thing makes noise then it also needs to be heard....

These are traits which all babies have without exception but for the special and gifted babies... .So, from that perspective yes it can indicate development but I have my own doubts if it indicates any character development traits... Since, character development starts when the kids can understand and interact with the surrounding.. .Not before that.

6. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Babies are curious and licking everything they get allows them to explore new tastes they don't know if it is a good thing or not they just want to try something  they enjoy

7. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 4 years ago

One reason is to gain experiential knowledge.  One way this will benefit them as they grow older, though not in terms of character development, is having a better ability to adequately manage the different textures, shapes, temperatures, and sizes of food being placed in their mouth so they can then safely swallow it.

working